Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Lansing, Michigan
(MGLVA) Temporary Family Academic Support Liaison - August Start
Substitute Family Academic Support Liaison INSPIRE THE FUTURE!
Passionate Substitute Family Academic Support Liaisons are needed at the K12 partner school, Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy (MGLVA). We want you to be a part of our talented team!
MGLVA is a rapidly-growing organization that offers our teachers and staff members the excitement of exploring an emerging concept in education. Daily, our talented teachers and staff experience the impact they make on the lives of children. Join us, and be inspired by the potential of our students.
This is a contract position to start immediately and will last till end of March 2019
The Family Academic Support Liaisons provide a range of services to students and learning coaches in each grade level to build capacity within families to increase their involvement and assist in their student s education. The goal is to provide support for parents of students identified as academically at risk, as well as to collaborate with teachers and parents to ensure student academic achievement, remediation, and successful completion of school (or grade level standards). Homeroom teachers identify students who are struggling academically and then make a referral to the Family Academic Support Liaison for assistance
AS A SUBSTITUTE FAMILY ACADEMIC SUPPORT LIAISON, YOU WILL ENJOY...
* Support new and returning students through the Strong Start process, including:
* Assignments to Strong Start students from day 1 of Enrollment Approval
* Support all elements of completion of Strong Start tasks
* Communication Efforts (email/kmail)
* Follow up on non-completion items
* Welcome calls (in conjunction with homeroom teacher)
* Facilitate orientation session
* Hold open office hours Strong Start element completion focus
* Provide 1:1 guidance and support for parents who have students experiencing academic difficulty in mathematics, English/language arts/writing, science, and social studies. Assist in developing an academic remediation (Back on Track) plan for parent and student to follow and provide ongoing support towards completion of plan.
* Facilitate 1:1 training/support and provide academic resources to help parents on best practices for working with their children to improve their student s academic achievement.
* Promote the importance of communication between teachers and parents on an ongoing basis with referred parents and students.
* Collaborate with the teachers, parents, administrators, and other school staff to ascertain students academic needs and create a plan for improvement.
* Confer with teachers and parents for the purpose of assisting in evaluating student progress and/or implementing student objectives.
* Work with the school staff to present school-level academic events, parent workshops and other activities for the purpose of ensuring quality delivery of services.
* Provide research-based strategies to give parents the necessary skills and knowledge to help them communicate effectively with teachers, administrators, and all educators in order to build a partnership to impact student achievement.
* Educate parents to recognize the need for healthy home/school relationships and the DOE Six Requirements on Building Capacity.
* Work with staff in encouraging parents 1:1 to participate in school activities.
* Provide technical assistance relating to parental involvement as needed on the school level.
* Maintain accurate documentation of student performance, progress, needs, and academic supports
Get to know MGLVA!
* Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy
* Behind the Scenes
* A Day in the Life
Are you driven by excellence to deliver instruction, support and guidance, manage the learning process, and focus on students individual needs* If selected, you will participate in a comprehensive new teacher training program for three weeks before the start of school. It is an opportunity to meet colleagues and learn the responsibilities required for delivering curriculum in an online environment. During this training you will also learn how to monitor student progress through K12 s learning management system, and to be a partner actively working with students and parents to advance each child s learning.
* Associates degree AND
* One (1) year working with families in a Support Liaison, or equivalent role, developing parent mentors/parent training OR
* Equivalent combination of education and experience
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
* Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.); Web proficiency.
* Ability to travel 25% of the time
* Ability to pass required background check
* Bachelor s degree
* Previous experience as a Learning Coach or Advisor for K12
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* This is a home-based position but there may be a need for in-office work which is at the discretion of the supervisor and business needs. The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is at-will as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the at-will nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.
WHO ARE WE*
* About Us
* K12 Produces Results
* Kudos and Honors
K12 is a Federal Contractor seeking priority Veteran referrals, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, age, genetics or any other characteristic protected by law.
* Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
Send This Job to a Friend