Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by Careerbuilder
Location: Valley, Nebraska
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This Managerial role reports directly to the VP of Product and Market Development, U.S. Lighting and Transportation Market. The work carried out under the supervision of this position is the Design/Detail Project Manager, Product Designer, Technical Information Analyst and Specification Drafter personnel for the fulfillment of mass transit, best cost, specification sales and administrative improvement projects and implementation of new products.
This position is accountable for (1) the direction and support of their subordinates to insure company and division goals are maintained and improved regarding the service of agency/customer accounts; (2) the production of all engineering drawings, submittal packages and related data required for individual customer orders within assigned projects; (3) coordination and participation in the coverage of all direct report's responsibilities when they are absent, (4) Developing, implementing, and maintaining systems, HUB development, product specification pages, and standards, (5) the project management of specialized identified custom and light rail projects, (6) the best cost review of identified large quotes and orders, (7) the supervision of the creation of product sales product renderings for specification sales and (8) the implementation of assigned new product development projects through the stage gate process.
· This position reports to the VP of Product and Market Development and has four direct reports and no indirect reports
· This role requires up to 20% travel (internationally/domestically), including overnight stays
· Staffs, develops and controls the Custom Products Group (SWATT) to best achieve goals and objectives
· Develops and recommends manpower to meet sales forecast and goals for the Product and Market Development department within the North American lighting and traffic business
· Provides training, direction and motivation for subordinates and proper recognition for performance to promote professional development and to assure that the job gets done satisfactorily. Reviews performance of subordinates and recommends appropriate action.
· Establishes work procedures and guidelines to facilitate flow and accuracy of work, and assigns job schedules and priorities to meet the requirements of the department and project stakeholders
· Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring projects, ensuring flow and accuracy of work, progress reports and staff conferences in order to inform marketing, management and project stakeholders of the current status of each project
· Analyzes shop and field problems using RCA tools to report and initiate corrective action to prevent recurrence of problems
· Promotes strong relationships with customers, vendors, outside sources of technical assistance, etc. Emphasizes responsiveness to customer needs.
· Works with manufacturing and quality assurance to establish and maintain acceptable tolerances and standards of workmanship
· Promotes and maintains a productive working relationship within the department and with all other departments
· Maintains a neat, business-like environment within the work area including minimizing distractions from radio noise, conversations, etc.
· Presents a progress report in the weekly staff meeting, providing updates on all projects and providing metrics and updated project timelines on key projects and best cost initiatives
· Monitors project tasks and verifies work procedures and guidelines facilitate flow and accuracy of work; modifies and verifies project schedules and priorities meet department and project stakeholder's requirements and budgets
· Oversees the identification and implementation of corrective action procedures to ensure project requirements are met
· Confers with NPD, marketing, sales, specifications team, customer service, agents, quality, manufacturing, and purchasing to provide technical advice and resolve problems
· Leads by example in personally exemplifying The Valmont Way core values: Exhibits a passion for our products, services and customers, operates with absolute integrity, strives for jean
· ontinuous improvement and consistently delivers results. Embraces our lean enterprise and war on waste principles.
· Works with other departments within the division to promote and encourage a safe work environment
· Pull together market research on identified new products and new markets to establish value for stage gate process
· Manage the development and implementation of assigned new products through the state gate process
Other Important Details about the Role:
Manages a team that oversees the tasks associated with project review, coordination of project activities, task assignment, drafting support, monitoring and reporting project timelines, customer communication and collaboration with the manufacturing engineering, product development, quality, sales, customer services, drafting, and manufacturing and information technology departments.
The incumbent must possess a high level of technical competence in drafting practices and a good understanding of the end use of the product. Incumbent must also have knowledge of fabrication and welding procedures, and the manufacturing processes used in the product as well as quality assurance requirements and methods.
This position must have the supervisory skill necessary to lead technical subordinates and motivate them in order to affect a high degree of productivity. The activities of this position are intertwined with the functions of many different people of diverse backgrounds. The incumbent must possess good communication skills in order to illustrate ideas to individuals from non-technical disciplines in layman's terms as well as technical people in precise terms.
This position encounters a wide variety of problems ranging from project issues to human relations. The supervision and guidance received by the incumbent relates largely to overall objectives, critical issues and new concepts. This person consults with the Vice President of Product and Market Development concerning unusual problems and developments.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
· Preferred Bachelor's with 6+ years relevant experience or Associates Degree with 8+ years relevant experience or 10+ years of relevant experience
· Five years previous product design experience
· Two years of steel manufacturing exposure
· Project management experience
· Fabrication and welding procedure knowledge
· Quality Assurance knowledge of requirements and methods used in manufacturing process
· Must demonstrate strong leadership skills
· Ability to understand and analyze engineering details, project plans, and specifications, and communicate this information in a logical fashion
· Experience working in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Ability to work and manage changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Demonstrate problem-solving skills and attention to detail
· Demonstrate excellence with interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
· Acceptable prior performance and attendance record
· Supervisory or management experience
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
· Engineering Degree
· Good understanding of IFS, Universe, CAD application programs, 3D Modeling and MS Access
· Valmont product/processes experience
· Valmont manufacturing pole experience
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. 20% travel (domestic and international) requirements for this position. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.