Posted in Other 28 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Requisition Id 1195
We are seeking a Technical Staff Member who will focus on the performance a full range of inorganic analyses, including sample preparations and chemical separations, for our nuclear fuels cycle and isotope programs. The position will support advanced ICPMS operations for the analyses range of elemental and isotopic characterizations on samples which contain radiological constituents from environmental levels to high levels of radioactivity. This position will support ORNL scientific staff conducting research and chemical operations associated with the production and purification of radioisotopes and R&D for nuclear fuels. This position resides in the Nuclear Analytical Chemistry Isotopics Laboratories (NACIL) group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
- Perform sample preparations and chemical separations for radiochemical determinations of nuclear materials.
- Be proficient and knowledgeable of elemental ICPMS quadrupole maintenance, setup, and operations. Conduct fully-quantitative, semi-quantitative, and high precision isotope ratio measurements for quantification of radiological isotopes in highly radioactive sample streams.
- Work independently in performing established laboratory procedures for titrations, dissolutions, dilutions and separations of high activity samples in preparation for analytical determinations.
- Independently perform laboratory tests as needed to assist in developing, modifying, and refining operational and/or experimental procedures.
- Lead and participate in planning workflow for the laboratory, including establishing priorities within and between projects, and determining the best direction of the laboratory efforts for various experiments, tests, and analysis.
- Collaborate in the development of new analytical methodologies and analytical instrumentation. Presentation of developed work at appropriate professional conferences or in peer reviewed journals.
- Obtain and maintain all ORNL training requirements for a radiation worker performing analytical work in designated radiological facilities.
- Utilize Windows based personal computers, instrumentation operation, data reporting, analytical calculations, and sample management.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements.
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- M.S. degree in Chemistry, Biology, Physics or closely related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of analytical laboratory experience; An equivalent combination of education and related analytical experience will also be considered.
- Demonstrated knowledgeable of elemental ICPMS quadrupole maintenance, setup, and operations. Conduct fully-quantitative, semi-quantitative, and high precision isotope ratio measurements for quantification of radiological isotopes.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the chemistry and separations of lanthanide and actinides, as well as safety consideration for handling.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with modern sample preparation methods used in isotopic and elemental characterizations with emphases on nuclear materials.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the safety practices associated with handling radioactive materials.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Ability to respond quickly to diverse and shifting demands with sudden deadlines on tight schedules.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.