Posted in Other 27 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: LEAD, South Dakota
Open Date: April 30, 2019
Close Date: August 30, 2019
Fermilab is America s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world.
The Long-Baseline Neutrino Facility (LBNF) / Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) Project is seeking a Construction Specialist to join the Fermilab team at the Sanford Underground Research Facility (SURF) in Lead, South Dakota. The LBNF/DUNE Project will design and construct the world s largest proposed neutrino experiment to answer the most compelling questions about the makeup of our universe. In support of DUNE, LBNF will construct the world s most powerful neutrino beamline at Fermilab and surface and underground conventional facilities (CF) to host DUNE s large liquid argon neutrino detectors nearly a mile underground at the Sanford Lab.
Under minimal supervision, the selected candidate will independently coordinate, inspect, and oversee all aspects of complex construction projects with focus on ensuring safe work practices, quality assurance, and following project schedules and costs. They will inspect construction work in progress to ensure that materials and work standards conform to specifications, contract terms, and applicable construction codes. They will oversee construction contractors' activities to ensure compliance of their Environmental, Safety, & Health (ES&H) plans, applicable Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Standards, and applicable hazard analysis.
* Be part of a team of four total individuals providing continuous oversite of work performed 24 hours/day. Depending on the phase of construction, coverage is 5, 6, or 7 days/week. Anticipate ~50 hours/week per individual.
* Be available to rotate between shifts for 24 hour/day coverage in coordination with three other individuals in the same role.
* Inspect construction work in progress to ensure that materials and work standards conform to specifications and quality requirements of the contract and applicable construction codes.
* Oversee construction contractors' daily shift activities to ensure compliance of their ES&H plans, applicable OSHA Standards, and applicable hazard analyses.
* Ensure contractors provide acceptable work permits and associated Hazard Analyses (HA s) (coring, confined spaces, excavation permits, domestic water, waste water, electrical permits, etc.)
* Coordinate construction contractor's activities with lab operations and other laboratory construction projects.
* Issue reports to project management on construction concerns and work progress, and ensures that proper documentation is maintained.
* Develop cost estimates to compare with construction contractor change requests.
* Verify construction contractor charges for work segments that have been completed.
* Verify progress payment invoices and performs final acceptance inspections.
* Review and recommend approval of construction contractor s payment applications.
* Document changes in field conditions and changes in scope.
* Prepare and process field-directed changes.
* Communicate with subcontractors on daily/weekly work shifts.
We Are Looking For
* Bachelor or Associate degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Engineering Technology or related field with a minimum of 4 years of experience in heavy industrial/commercial or civil construction, or underground mining OR a minimum of 10 years of management and/or inspection experience in these fields.
* General knowledge of all construction disciplines, including; excavation, concrete, structural steel, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and building automation is desired.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills to enable effective interaction with project, Fermilab, and stakeholders.
* Demonstrated ability to work with effective teams and partnerships across a wide range of stakeholders to deliver complex projects.
* Ability to use MS Office and document management systems.
* Ability to work independently.
* Experience in working on $25M+ projects with multiple stakeholders and significant contractor involvement preferred
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
HUMAN FACTORS: Must be able to travel domestically (less than 5% travel). Standing and Sitting long periods of time. Climbing ladders, working in elevated platforms. Working in all field conditions on surface and underground.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.