Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PURPOSE: The Environmental Scientist will review waste stream forms and assign DOT shipping descriptions, correct disposal methods and facilities, and waste approvals in the company database for the safe management and handling of waste streams transported by Heritage-Crystal Clean, LLC (HCC).
The Environmental Scientist will provide professional support to the HCC EHS Department and to Heritage Environmental Services (HES) by: conducting waste reviews and interpreting DOT and RCRA regulations in conjunction with the requirements and restrictions of HCC and HES to review, approve, and assign DOT requirements to various waste streams for HCC pick up.
* Ensures Health and Safety is the primary goal of both companies by following procedures and enforcing policy
* Liaison between HCC and HES waste acceptance teams
* Review and interpret lab data, SDS and waste stream survey documents
* Interface closely with HES to streamline approvals to their facilities
* Learn and understand HCC and HES waste approval procedures and data management systems as they apply to waste stream approvals
* Explain and answer regulatory questions from generators or HCC sales representatives regarding waste characterization and aspects of RCRA and DOT as they relate to waste streams
* Understand and apply RCRA and DOT regulations for implementation of policies, procedures, or waste approvals for HCC/HES waste streams
* Interface with internal and external customers regarding waste streams approved into HCC/HES systems
* Other duties as assigned by management
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Individual must have 1-3 years of chemical/laboratory or related experience. Individual will be required to travel periodically, primarily to Indianapolis, IN.
* A working knowledge of DOT and RCRA regulations relating to Hazardous Waste and Used Oil, both State and Federal regulations
* Ability to apply procedures consistently over time and remain consistent with company policy
* Be able to quickly adjust to procedure/policy changes
* Ability to work consistently and professionally under pressure
* Strong communication skills both written and oral
* Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment by:
* Understanding when to escalate issues
* Appropriately prioritizing work load
* Balance speed with high accuracy
* Excellent follow up and organizational skills
* Be a very fast learner
* Present a positive image of Heritage-Crystal Clean to fellow employees, external contacts, the general public
* 1+ years in a fast-paced work environment
* Field Chemist or lab packing experience is a strong plus
* Working knowledge of RCRA and/or DOT
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, OR DESIGNATIONS
* Bachelor s Degree in Chemistry/Sciences preferred or related experience
* Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
* Computer Use Competency
* CCMS knowledge a plus
* Use of iPhone required
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing essential duties of this position an individual regularly works indoors or outdoors, and may be required to sit/stand for long periods. Individual will be required to regularly talk, hear, see and often reach with hands, stand, and walk, use a computer keyboard, mouse, telephone, and other office equipment. This position will be required to travel by car or air to other HCC locations or vendors. Personal Protective Equipment will be required for specific situations while in the field. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
HERITAGE CRYSTAL CLEAN LLC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE WOMEN, MINORITIES, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES AND VETERANS TO APPLY.