Posted in Engineering 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Boulder, Colorado
As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
At Garmin, we create products that solve complex problems and make people’s lives safer, healthier and more enjoyable. Whether you are interested in developing software using Java or other object oriented language, we have a future for you. We are looking for a full-time Software Engineer 2 to develop software for our at our location in Boulder,CO. The software engineer develops moderately complex software, creates and executes designs for small sets of new functionalities. May also perform as Lead Software Engineer for small projects or sub projects.
In addition to designing new software and performing maintenance on existing products, engineers develop software in Java or another language. They also work on mobile applications in iOS and Android, test software using debuggers, emulators and simulators; perform software releases and software quality assurance activities; and work collaboratively and professionally with other Garmin associates. Desirable skill include experience with, Spring, Puppet, AWS, Docker and database experience.
Other essential functions include:
• Creates and executes designs for small sets of new functionalities as part of a software project
• May perform as a technical leader or Lead Software Engineer for derivative software project
• Collaborates and adds value through participation in peer code reviews, providing comments and suggestions
• Provides reliable solutions to a variety of problems using sound problem solving techniques
• Performs technical root cause analysis and outlines corrective action for given problems
• Serve as a mentor to less experienced software engineers (Software Engineer 1)
• Estimate level of effort, evaluate new options of similar technology, offer suggestions to improve processes, and provide comments on some electrical design aspects
• Apply Garmin’s Mission Statement and Quality Policy and enthusiastically exhibit a desire to see Garmin succeed
Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math or Physics or a technical field (such as CIS or IT) from a four-year college or university AND a minimum of one-year relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience with a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher. Other requirements include:
• Must possess a minimum 1 year of work experience
• Demonstrates proficient knowledge and utilization of engineering tools necessary for successful performance of the essential functions of this job description
• Must demonstrate proficiency and possess experience necessary to develop moderately complex software in Java or other selected languages
• Demonstrates mastery of relevant software engineering tools (configuration management systems, build processes, debuggers, emulators, simulators and logic analyzers)
Previous work or internship experience in design, particularly consumer products and work experience in a team environment are highly preferred!
Our benefits are designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life. They allow our associates to make their own decisions about their wellbeing and future and consistently rank Garmin as a top tier benefits provider when compared to other high-tech employers. We offer a choice of high value medical, dental and vision plans with low or no premiums, to fit your and your family’s preferences. In addition, Garmin’s financial benefits include a generous 401K retirement plan that provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount. Garmin offers many other benefits and perks ranging from wellbeing initiatives, educational assistance and career development, community charity support, and employee discounts just to name a few.