Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Part Time
DESCRIPTION SHIFT: PRN
SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
St. David's North Austin Medical Center, which is part of St. David's HealthCare, is a 425-bed multi-specialty, acute care facility dedicated to the highest level of women's health services, including maternity and newborn care with Level I, II and III nurseries at the adjacent St. David's Women's Center of Texas. The facility also features a 24-hour emergency department, the Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery, the Bariatric Center, Heart and Vascular Center, neurology and neurosurgery, a kidney transplant program, inpatient and outpatient surgery and acute inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, among many others. St. David's North Austin Medical Center is also home to St. David's Children's Hospital. St. David's Surgical Hospital, which opened in October 2016, is a campus of St. David's North Austin Medical Center.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
Under general supervision, assists in accessioning and preparation of specimens in the clinical laboratory. Responsible for certain computer functions, general department cleaning and maintenance, and equipment maintenance. Interacts with other laboratory staff, pathologists and other department personnel on a regular basis. Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Receives handles and labels all specimens accurately and appropriately.
* Receives samples with or without bar code labels as soon as possible after they arrive in the lab.
* Verifies that patient names on samples, labels and paperwork match.
* Processes STAT and ED samples within expected turnaround time.
* Notifies supervisor immediately of any discrepancies.
* Maintains error rate of less than 1%.
* Delivers specimens to lab work areas in a timely manner.
* Alerts techs to STAT/ED samples requiring testing.
* Maintains work area.
* Restocks supplies and puts up stock as it arrives in the lab.
* Keeps cabinets, shelves and counters in orderly condition.
* Notifies supervisor of any ordering need; short expiration dates.
* Wipes down counters with disinfectant at least once per shift and documents on log sheet.
* Makes blood culture bottle bags as needed.
* Is able to answer phone, direct calls and respond to customers appropriately.
* Answers telephone by third ring.
* Demonstrates ability to put lines on hold when multiple lines are ringing and respond or direct call ASAP.
* Maintains courteous and helpful attitude and tone of voice.
* Handles send out work area independently.
* Processes send out work with minimal help.
* Has samples ready for couriers consistently on time.
* Troubleshoots problem specimens and documents if appropriate.
* Utilizes appropriate computer skills.
* Able to print results to specified printers in the lab and to site locations.
* Capable of looking up results, orders and test procedures in the Meditech system.
* Possesses thorough knowledge of receiving, ordering and editing processes in the computer system.
* Demonstrates proficiency in technical skills and handling of patient samples
* Asks patient his/her name and verifies patient ID before drawing blood
* Verifies that patient names match on specimens, labels, and paperwork.
* Investigates specimens that have a discrepancy.
* Delivers specimens to lab within 15-30 minutes after draw. Does not hold specimens in collection area.
* Collects samples in appropriate containers and with sufficient volume.
* Adheres to Standard Precaution guidelines at all times.
* Able to distinguish specimens needed to share with cyto/path and label appropriately
* Provides clear oral and written instructions to patients for collections to be done at home.
* Follows OSHA guidelines for PPE.
* Always wears appropriate PPE in the laboratory.
* Wears gloves and lab coat while assisting with procedures or whenever handling specimens that have the potential for splashing.
* Employee's conduct must reflect the Company's values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program.
* Employee reflects SDH Service Excellence standards in every interaction.
* Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of national patient safety initiatives by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures as required by both HCA and St. David's North Austin Medical Center.
Preferred: Computer skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Required: High School Diploma or GED equivalent
Preferred: Previous phlebotomy experience
Our Company's recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.
We are committed to:
Providing an inclusive work environment where everyone is treated with fairness, dignity and respect.
Recruiting and retaining a diverse staff reflective of the patients and communities we serve.
Equal employment opportunities are provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected category in accordance to applicable federal, state, or local laws.