Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
* Req ID: 76664
* Department: Operations Southern Division
* Job Type: Full-Time
* Position Type: Union
* Country: United States
* % of Travel: 80-90%
* Compensation Rate: $36.50/hour - $42.50/hour
* Job Available to: Internal & External
* Deadline to apply: 10/31/2020
**We are currently collecting resumes for current and future openings in 2020**
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
Based on business need, candidates may be considered for the following potential locations (please note your location preference during the application process):
* Minot, ND
* Enderlin, ND
* Thief River Falls, MN
* St. Paul, MN
* Waseca, MN
* Portage, WI
* Bensenville, IL
* Elkhart, IN
* Davenport, IA
* Mason City, IA
* Marquette, IA
* Kansas City, MO
* Saratoga Springs, NY
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Oversee the safe operation of trains and help ensure that the trains reach their destinations in a timely and efficient manner. Vital role in helping CP achieve its objectives.
* Inspection of freight cars, coupling air hoses and performing airbrake tests, replacing broken air hoses and gaskets, replacing missing or broken knuckles, adjusting drawbars, coupling and uncoupling cars and locomotives, climbing and hanging on ladders on the sides of cars to apply and release hand brakes;
* Give, receive, and interpret hand signals;
* Read and interpret track flags, block and interlocking and other fixed signals;
* Have a thorough understanding of and follow General Code of Operating Rules (GCOR), Soo Line Railroad System Timetable/Special Instructions, General Orders and Bulletins as they pertain to the safe movement of trains, goods, and hazardous materials, ensuring the safety of CP employees and the general public;
* Apply corresponding Rules/Special Instructions of foreign railroads, where applicable;
* Complete documentation as required and must ensure all departure and arrival procedures are carried out to standard;
* Plan and perform setouts and pickups, switching and service of on line industries;
* Must be able to handle emergency situations and operate fire extinguishers as well as be able to apply first aid techniques;
* Must safely and efficiently perform all other duties as required.
* Must currently be a qualified Conductor;
* Must be available for call 24 hours per day and able to work irregular hours, with holiday and weekend work included;
* Work performed may be for periods of time up to 12 hours;
* Must respond to and be at the designated work site within two hours of receiving a call;
* Work schedules are irregular and are determined by the rotation of the extra board including weekends and holidays;
* Outdoor work in all types of weather conditions;
* Walking distances on railroad roadbeds;
* Must be able to recognize and distinguish between the colors of signals, signs, and other visual displays;
* Must be able to judge the speed and/or distance of moving objects at near or far distances;
* You should consider the long-term effect of the above lifestyle on your personal and/or domestic situation;
* Must pass a written examination prior to completing the training;
* Must possess good communication skills, work efficiently with minimum supervision;
* Required to accept mandatory promotion to a Locomotive Engineer and attend Student Engineer Training - this can occur any time after 1 year of train service experience.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
* Flexible and competitive benefits package
* Completive company pension plan
* Annual Fitness Subsidy
CP is looking for qualified Conductors. To be deemed qualified, you must have worked for a Class 1 Railroad within the past year, have a valid Class 1 Conductor certification, have a minimum of 1 year experience and have completed 100+ trips/shifts as a qualified Conductor. If individuals are not deemed qualified or do not have prior Conductor experience then they would start as a Conductor Trainee and will have a more extensive training program.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is a safety critical/sensitive position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessments. Qualification drug test(s) are also required.
Drug Test Elements:
All new hires are required to undergo a drug screen. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping CP safe and drug free.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
* Criminal history check
* Education verification
* Last 3 years of driving history
* Last 7 years of employment history; includes military service
* Social Security number verification
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.