Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
At Houston Methodist, the Environmental Services Technician position performs a variety of general as well as moderately complex cleaning tasks in assigned specialty areas to provide a safe and attractive environment for patients, guests, and staff. This position maintains environmental and infection control standards within established policies and procedures. In addition, the Environmental Services Technician position follows Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN) standards for turnover and terminal cleaning of procedure rooms. This position works with floor maintenance equipment and chemicals as well as handling and interaction with hazardous materials for appropriate disposal, conference room set ups and linen distribution, collection and tracking, as appropriate.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
* Interacts in a positive, professional manner with patients, family and staff.
* Actively participates in meetings, huddles and with other team members using positive communication.
* Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit to achieve optimal results.
SERVICE - 30%
* Responds promptly and positively to requests for assistance with directions and information from patients, staff and visitors.
* Promptly responds to all assignments to create an environment that is conducive for healing. Communicates and documents any facility or patient related issues to management, as appropriate.
* Performs efficient room cleaning processes ensuring timely patient admissions.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
* Follows department process for room cleaning and discharge inspections, as appropriate, with the goal of meeting or exceeding HCAHPS cleanliness scores.
* Achieves discharge, daily room cleaning and assigned area turn-around times, as appropriate.
* During discharge activity, tracks, logs, and notifies appropriate management of safety and repair needs for equipment.
* Follows policies, procedures, and safety rules. Corrects minor safety hazards and observes standard infection control precautions and complies with OSHA standards.
* Performs one or more of the following:
* Follows proper cleaning/maintenance procedures for all floor types utilizing equipment, as appropriate.
* Collects, transports and disposes of solid/biohazard waste through proper procedures.
* Follows identified cleaning procedures, which may include utilizing specialty equipment, in assigned areas (e.g. surgical, procedural or isolation areas, etc.).
* Uses appropriate transporting techniques for clean or soiled linen and assists with quality assurance by examining, identifying and rejecting poor quality linen.
FINANCE - 10%
* Appropriately uses and stores chemicals, paper goods, supplies, and equipment utilized during a shift. Reports, tracks and assesses wasteful practices.
* Manages time effectively and prioritize department daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
* Assumes responsibility for growth and development. Participates in continuing education and in-service programs. Actively participates in EVS shared governance, meetings or huddles by contributing ideas towards improving the efficiency and effectiveness of department processes.
* Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging coworkers in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
* High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.) preferred
* One year of experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Valid Texas Driver's License preferred
* US Department Of Transportation Hazardous Materials Certification within 90 days of employment (renewed every 3 years)
* Note: Current incumbents have 120 days from this job description revision date to acquire certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
* Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
* Demonstrates the ability to access information both in the department and within the hospital system to support the department as appropriate
* Multi-task oriented, ability to complete work within designated time frames
* Ability to accurately and efficiently perform duties with minimal supervision
* Demonstrate efficient and safe use of housekeeping equipment and chemicals
* Ability to effectively communicate in a manner consistent with a customer service focus
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a Best Hospital in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area. APPLY.