Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the NATIONAL UMBRELLA ORGANIZATION FOR THE nation s leading NETWORK OF women s health care provider S , educator S , and advocate S , serving women, men, teens and families. P LANNED PARENTHOOD ACTION FUND IS THE ADVOCACY AND POLITICAL ARM OF PPFA. For over 100 years, PLANNED PARENTHOOD has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions. Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks an Associate Director, Multicultural Communications a media and communications strategist with an expertise and established relationships in Black media, to expand our reach, rebuild trust, and introduce our brand to Black audiences. This job reports to the Director of Multicultural Communications in the Communication and Culture division of PPFA. The media team provides all of the external media, press, and messaging work for the organization. PURPOSE: Due to the structural racism embedded into this country s health care delivery system, the history of medical mistreatment of Black women in the development and provision of sexual and reproductive health care, the framing of abortion as Black genocide, by those opposed to abortion. Black communities often have a challenging and nuanced relationship with sexual and reproductive health care as well as Planned Parenthood s brand. This role will be committed to developing and implementing communications strategies that tell the story of the importance of sexual and reproductive health care for Black communities and the outsized impact of attacks on access to sexual and reproductive health care undoubtedly has on Black communities through increasing our presence in Black media. As we work to expand the future of abortion access for everyone, we know that centering the most vulnerable, which in the case of abortion access if often Black women, will result in expanded access for all. As such, this role will be responsible for driving strategy to reach Black audiences through media and communications efforts, including through proactive strategic plans and initiatives; though, tailoring messaging on all major initiatives to be most relevant to Black audiences, training Black spokespeople to carry those messages, and building strong relationships with a wide range of Black media (broadcast, radio, podcast, online, print) to garner media coverage. This role will also have the distinct responsibility of ensuring an appropriate and culturally competent lens to all communications and culture work by offering technical support across internal departments and affiliates in order to maintain and repair strong external partnerships, particularly with Black-led reproductive justice partner organizations, and expand and improve Planned Parenthood s brand. Position can be located in DC or NY
DELIVERY * Develop and execute strategic media plans to inform Black audiences of sexual and reproductive health policies and the impact on their communities as well as promote Planned Parenthood s efforts to become a trusted provider of reproductive health care, sexual health information, and sex education to their communities and a strong advocate in the fight to protect their healthcare.
* Ensure equity is integrated and Black women are centered in the communications strategies around expanding the future of abortion access with particular respect to policies that impact Black women most, like the Hyde Amendment.
* Build and expand strong relationships with journalists, editors, producers, and media outlets with large or exclusively Black audiences. Identify journalists and outlets that reach new and diverse audiences, develop plans to deepen relationships with them.
* Draft various media materials, including press releases, advisories, talking points, letters to the editor, op-eds, fact sheets, and briefings.
* Develop a strong base of spokespeople from across the Federation at all levels who can speak to experiences and reproductive health needs of Black communities. Manage their media trainings, brief them for media interviews, and build their public-facing profiles.
* Provide expert technical support to affiliates with regard to communications outreach to Black communities. Create and draft affiliate memos and media materials (e.g. talking points, op-eds); assistance executing local media plans (e.g. local pitching or on-the-ground press events); and trainings on cross-movement issues, how to ensure a racial equity lens, and reaching Black audiences.
* Lead crisis communications strategy on the racial implications of sexual and reproductive health policies and programs as well as cross movement issues, for affiliates and the Federation to protect the Planned Parenthood brand and maintain strong external partnerships.
* Drive and implement communications strategies that authentically reach Black communities on health care, advocacy, and cross-movement issues both long-lead proactive pitching, developing campaigns, and responding to and shaping breaking news.
* Manage the Multicultural Communications Officer assigned to Black media on the Multicultural Communications team.
* Ensure timely processing of contacts and invoices for partnership and sponsorship opportunities with Black media, organizations, or events.
ENGAGEMENT * Collaborate with federal advocacy media staff and other PPFA departments alongside the Director of Multicultural Communications in ensuring a culturally competent lens to public health awareness and political advocacy campaigns, and suggesting and creating campaigns specific to Black communities when necessary or possible.
* Establish deeper relationships with the communications teams of Black-led reproductive justice organizations to ensure we are working in partnership and not causing intentional harm to their work and strategies or to the communities we all collectively serve.
* Serve as an internal consultant to teams across the Federation on strategy and language to ensure projects include Black communities, and communicate to and about them appropriately and authentically.
* Work closely with Strategic Partnerships, Constituency Organizing, Government Relations, and the Director of Multicultural Communications, to develop Planned Parenthood s position on and response to political and social policies and issues that directly affect the ability of our Black patients to live safe and healthy lives, and thus affects their ability to access quality reproductive health care.
* Must be a team player with a positive attitude, and be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment and remain calm under pressure.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAS) * 3-5 years of experience working in communications directly with demonstrated strong relationships with media outlets, reporters, and partner organizations.
* Must possess excellent communication skills and a strong racial equity lens. Must be well-spoken. Must write and edit proficiently and quickly, and have extensive knowledge of the operations of the news media, including print, online, blogs, radio and broadcast. Must have a strong understanding of sexual and reproductive health. Must have experience leading media strategy. A nuanced understanding of reproductive justice and federal policy is strongly preferred.
TRAVEL * 25% domestic travel
*LI-SY1PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,