Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
ANESTHESIA TECHNICIAN II, FULL-TIME, EVENINGS
Chicago, Illinois JOB REQID 5206 JOB FUNCTION Patient Support SHIFT Evening Job (2nd)
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better*
The Anesthesia Technician IIreflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Anesthesia Technician II provides perioperative technical and clinical support to the members of the anesthesia team in relation to all anesthesia procedures.
* The Anesthesia Technician II works as a member of the surgical team, providing patient care under the direct supervision of a licensed anesthesia provider. Clinical responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
* Cell Saver-Blood Salvage (sets up and runs machine during surgery).
* Blood draws from patient lines (e.g. ACT-Clotting time, ABGs, venous samples, type & cross).
* Immediate emergency response - provide clinical and technical support.
* Assists with patient transfer (to and from the OR bed). Removes jewelry (e.g. rings/collaborating with circulating nurse re: OR protocol).
* Assists with patient positioning (especially arm placement and security).
* Places monitoring equipment (e.g. ECG leads, BP cuff, BIS Sensor, Pulse Oximeter probe).
* Assists with intubation, which may include the following at the direction of the anesthesiologist: ensures all necessary equipment available & in working order, applies cricoid pressure, assists with fiberoptic intubations, provides jaw thrust, tongue pull, pulls stylet, inflates ET cuff, secures airway or manually ventilate while the anesthesiologist confirms placement).
* Prepares patient for access line placement and invasive monitoring (e.g. preps patient, prepares sterile field / equipment, prepares arterial lines, central venous lines, additional peripherial vascular lines, cardiac catheters, femoral lines, unilateral ventilation, fiberoptic TEE probe management).
* Assists the licensed anesthesia provider in confirming patient identification.
* Verifies blood products per hospital policy (Blood Administration 5.91) with the hospital approved health care professional who will be transfusing the blood product.
* The Anesthesia Technician II does not transfuse any fluids including blood products.
* Under the direction of the licensed anesthesia provider assembles IV fluids for infusion, including blood products.
* The Anesthesia Technician II but does not transfuse or monitor infused fluids.
* Provides patient security (e.g. during placement of spinal & epidural catheters, during intubation and extubation, during induction/intubation, and during extubation/recovery from anesthesia).
* Patient Transport.
* Anesthesia Equipment:
* Prepares, disinfects, and troubleshoots all anesthesia-related equipment and supplies for anesthetic procedures. This includes but is not limited to the following: Anesthesia Machines (e.g. Draeger Narkomed GS, Draeger Apollo, Datex-Ohmeda ADU, Draeger Mobile Machine and Tiro).
* Performs anesthesiology-related point-of-care testing.
* Monitors (e.g. GE Marquette Patient Monitor, Capnography and Gas monitors, Aspect BIS Monitor).
* Drug Infusion Pumps (e.g. Alaris, Hospira).
* Blood Infusion Equipment (e.g. Belmont).
* Hotline-Fluid warming equipment.
* TEE-Echo Probe.
* Intubation equipment, including fiberoptic bronchoscopes and video laryngoscopy.
* Gas cylinders.
* Breathing circuits.
* Assists with movement of equipment and supplies to support room turn-over and readiness.
* Maintains appropriate inventory levels of supplies and equipment related to anesthesia care.
* Off site:
* Provides clinical and technical support to anesthesia staff wherever needed in the institution (e.g. ICUs, IR, MRI, GI, CT, EP, ED).
* Serves as a resource for anesthesia to staff in other departments.
* Attend in-services for continuing education/maintenance of competency.
* Orients new staff to the Anesthesia Technician role.
* Additional responsibilities as assigned.
* Patient care/age specific responsibilities and qualifications: Child 3-12 years old, adolescence 12-18 years old, early adult 18-29 years old, young adult 29-40 years old, middle adult 40-64 years old, and geriatrics 64 years and older.
* The Anesthesia Technician II position is 24/7 coverage, and all positions are rotating to meet the needs of the department and hospital.
* Completion of an Associate Degree program, or 1-2 years Anesthesia Technician experience, or similar technical health care experience.
* Physical ability to lift, push, pull and move at least 35 lbs.
* Basic Life Support (required upon hire).
* Certified Anesthesia Technician (certification required within 6 months of eligibility).
* Completion of Bachelor's Degree, or Certified Anesthesia Technician.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation.