Mass General Brigham Community Physicians seeks an experienced Medical Assistant able to professionally and empathically interact with patients of all ages, the majority of which have a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). This unique opportunity is based at the Lurie Center for Autism, which is part of Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and the Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, and is a multidisciplinary program designed to evaluate and treat children, adolescents and adults with a wide variety of developmental disabilities conditions.
The Medical Assistant works almost exclusively under the direction of one Family Medicine physician, with limited support from a Family Medicine practice in Medford. The Medical Assistant is responsible for assisting the physician with evaluation, management, and treatment of patients during office visits and other tasks related to the visit consistent with his/her training and skills. His/her primary roles are to ensure efficient patient flow through the office; to maintain neat, clean and safe patient care areas, and to promote patient satisfaction by interacting with patients and their families in a professional, friendly manner consistent with their needs. The Medical Assistant will be employed by Mass General Brigham Community Physicians while working within the Lurie Center with MGH employees.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates pre-visit preparations including addressing the special needs of patients (i.e. comfort measures, communication, and other appropriate issues), ensuring relevant labs and tests are scheduled and completed prior to office visit, retrieve any necessary medical records etc.
- Escorts patients to the exam rooms and takes vital signs.
- Performs a variety of patient care procedures within the Medical Assistant (MA) scope of practice, including but not limited to injections.
- Assists physician with office procedures.
- Sends in electronic prescriptions for patients that have been instructed by physician.
- Completes prior authorizations for medications, durable medical equipment, and imaging.
- Communicates with patients regarding laboratory, imaging results and prescription instructions per practice protocol.
- Cleans and restocks exam rooms.
- Maintains the strictest confidentiality of any and all patient records including but not limited to treatment, diagnosis, history, medication, and financial status.
- Sorts and completes faxes and forms to the best of ability.
- Sends in electronic prescriptions for patients that have been instructed by providers.
- Performs all other duties and tasks requested to ensure the efficient overall performance of the practice.
We are located at 1 Maguire Road Lexington, MA 02421.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant training program is strongly preferred.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant through American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), or another national accredited certifying body is preferred. Certification will be required within six months of hire.
- Phlebotomy certification preferred.
- Experience in a community-based medical practice required.
- Prior experience with Epic required.
Equal Opportunity Employer