Sr Director FP&A
at Discovery Communications
Posted in Other 7 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Location: silver spring, Maryland
Discovery CommunicationsRequisition ID
Discovery Education DivisionType
Company Employee Full-TimePosition Summary:The Team
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content that supports the implementation of Common Core, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Available in over half of all U.S. schools, community colleges and in 50 countries around the world, Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement.The Role
As leader of the Education FP&A team, the Senior Director will own the relationship with Education senior management, supporting the business through financial planning and analysis, business performance measurement and metrics, and driving new business. Responsibilities:
1. Lead annual budgeting processes including developing financial targets, key metrics, multi-year financial projections and alignment of financial and operating objectives.
2. Develop and implement driver based forecasting models to predict operating results and coordinate monthly forecasting and reporting process across the business.
3. Build strong relationships with Education president and management team to create value and drive performance versus targets.
4. Lead in-depth financial, variance, and trending analysis for key profitability drivers and metrics, with focus on presentation to management. Interpret results, and articulate actionable recommendations that maximize profitability and ensure financial targets are achieved.
5. Lead the financial modeling and analysis to support the development of long-term strategic initiatives and business plans.
6. Support diligence process for any potential M&A activity
7. Collaborate with colleagues across various functional areas of business and engage in productive problem solving, anticipating key issues and informational needs and always being prepared to drive analyses that enable business decision-making
8. Utilize financial systems to their maximum potential and make reporting effective, efficient, timely, accurate and insightful. Structure reporting to provide effective tools that allow budget managers and Finance management to understand variances and make effective decisions around resource allocation
9. Analyze metrics using business intelligence reporting tools
10. Analyze new product introductions - partner with business to present business cases for review and approval by senior management.
11. Review new deals being negotiated in the sponsorships and licensing space and advise business on negotiation terms like minimum guarantees, payment terms, revenue recognition etc.
12. Guide and mentor team of four. Requirements:
* Minimum eight years of experience in financial management, analysis and reporting, and business planning, with strong accounting and finance skills
* Previous experience at a corporate level leading Financial Planning and Analysis work required.
* Degree in accounting/finance required; MBA or CPA a plus
* Strong relationship building and conflict resolution skills
* Previous experience leading users with planning and analysis software (Cognos, BPC or equivalent systems).
* Experience with software as a service business model and/or due diligence process a plus
* Adept at financial modeling, using Excel for scenario analysis and strategic plans. Must be able to develop assumptions, and model their implications.
* Strong shareholder value creation mindset with experience and ability to develop and implement financial management tools and processes to help drive value creation.
* High integrity individual with strong organizational, management, training and development experience and strong interpersonal skills.
* Extremely results-oriented, with ability to identify issues and follow through with efficient, effective solutions.
* Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to work independently.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Proven ability to build confidence and trust with internal and external constituencies and provide excellent customer service.
* Proficiency in MS Office applications.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information. EEO is the Law Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to HR@discovery.com.
Signup for an account
to get information on applying for a job.