Laboratory Operations & Safety Specialist at Northeastern University
Posted in Research 30+ days ago.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Laboratory Operations & Safety Specialist
Requisition Number: STFR004291
Division/College: College of Engineering
Location: Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
A full time Laboratory Operations and Safety Specialist position is available in the College of Engineering for the Departments of Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering. The primary responsibilities of the Laboratory Operations and Safety Specialist will include:
1. Working with the college and facilities personnel, BioE department chair and ISEC operations director, to facilitate and oversee development, renovation and operation of BioE research and teaching labs and capstone design project makers' lab.
2. Provide purchasing support for research labs. Given specifications, research vendors, obtain multiple quotes when required, and negotiate discounts with vendors. Coordinate visits by vendors if appropriate. Coordinate the placing of orders with BioE staff. Track orders and arrange delivery to lab.
3. Coordinate facilities requests (placing and tracking work orders and other requests concerning departmental facilities). Coordinate facilities, transportation, and logistics when equipment is moved from one lab to another, or when major equipment is installed or removed.
4. Supervise teaching assistants, assist faculty and coordinate work for smooth and efficient operation of the BioE capstone design project makers' space and BMES teaching lab. Maintain inventory of components and parts. Inform the department chair about the hardware/software and renovation needs, equipment changes, and upgrades.
5. Act as a liaison with the ISEC Laboratory Operations and Safety specialist regarding the maintenance of safety equipment such as biosafety cabinets and autoclaves. Maintain BioE capital equipment inventory. Develop and maintain electronic copies of department facilities.
6. Serve as the Departmental Safety Officer for both Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering Departments for all research labs with the exception of those/ChemE located in the SPARK Lab. This responsibility includes (i) serving as the principal liaison with the ISEC Director of Operations; COE Assistant Director Of Academic Operations; COE Assistant Director of Lab Operations; and the Department of Environmental Health and Safety to ensure that all lab personnel are properly trained before laboratory access is granted and that their training is kept current. (ii) sending reminders to faculty, students, and other researchers when refresher training is required ensure that BioE/ChemE labs are compliant with university and regulatory safety policy at all times. (iii) Serving on the University Chemical Hygiene Committee and maintain the BioE chemical inventory database (with the exception of the Spark Lab). (iv) Arranging for access (card authorization, keys, combinations, etc.) to the appropriate labs. (v) Maintaining records of who has access to each lab and remove access to lab personnel who have graduated or left university or whose safety training has lapsed. (vi) Ensuring that assigned BioE/ChemE labs are compliant with university safety policy at all times.
The Laboratory Operations and Safety Specialist will report to the Business Manager of Bioengineering (75%) and Business Manager of Chemical Engineering (25%).
Masters degree or equivalent in bioengineering, biomedical engineering or related field. At least 2 years of experience working in academic laboratory operations in a shared laboratory setting are required.
Strong written and verbal communication skills are required together with strong computer skills including Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook). Strong proficiency with Excel required. Ability and willingness to learn new systems independently required.
Ability to work well independently as well as within a team environment. Strong organizational skills and a problem-solving mindset are required. The candidate will naturally be proactive with the ability to take initiative and ownership of responsibilities. Ability to work and service labs, PI”s, and students across multiple buildings at the Boston campus.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Careers@Northeastern
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency