Associate Director of Residential Safety and Security at Northeastern University
Posted in Security 19 days ago.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Associate Director of Residential Safety and Security
Requisition Number: STFR004343
Division/College: Residential Life
Location: Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
To support and enhance the mission of the Housing and Residential Life Department, the Associate Director of Residential Safety and Security will be responsible for creating, engaging in, and maintaining a comprehensive residential environment that is safe and secure. The Residential Safety Office is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Northeastern University Residential Safety Office utilizes a work force consisting of Northeastern resident assistants, contract security officers, and over 800 part-time student employees (proctors) to provide year-long 24/7 front desk security in 31 residence halls across the Northeastern Campus. Each shift may require 38-40 proctors in order to ensure adequate coverage and breaks.
This position requires significant interaction and collaboration with the Directors of Residential Life and Housing as well as outside constituents such as Information Technology Services, Facilities, Disability Resource Center, Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, Northeastern University Police Department, etc.
The Associate Director of Residential Safety and Security will directly supervise 1 Assistant Director (responsible for scheduling and training supervisors and proctors) and 1 Budget and Payroll Assistant. He/she will assist in the supervision of 2 Assistant Directors (1 daytime Assistant Director that focuses on access and control into the residence halls and 1 evening/night that provides supervision and support to evening supervisors and proctors). Additionally he/she will assist in the supervision of 21 Supervisors, and over 800 proctors. Reporting to the Director of Residential Safety and Security, this person will assist in providing leadership to the team overseeing the security into the residence halls. The Associate Director will also be responsible for assisting with oversight of the budget of the department.
The Associate Director's primary role will be to provide leadership and oversight for the scheduling of supervisors and proctors for the 24 hours a day, 7 days a week coverage. Given the large volume of weekly payroll, the Associate Director will serve as a secondary coordinator of payroll in the absence of the Budget & Payroll Assistant to ensure that the payroll is completed on time.
The Associate Director is responsible for the development and implementation of formalized training around customer service. He/She must work closely with other areas to develop and maintain an integrated service model whose goal is to provide outstanding customer service to external and internal customers (parents, students, faculty, and administration). Additionally, the Associate Director will work closely with the Assistant Director they directly supervise to assist in training supervisors and proctors.
The Associate Director must be comfortable working in a very fast-paced environment and resolve conflicts and disputes in a professional manner. He/she must possess the ability handle confidential information in a sensitive manner; be detailed oriented; possess strong administrative experience and communicate clearly and effectively to a diverse student, parent and staff population.
Given the nature of this role, the Associate Director will be called up in the evenings and on weekends to respond to crisis or emergency situations on campus and will be expected to respond to phone calls and provide guidance and assistance as needed.
The Associate Director must possess enthusiasm for higher education and a commitment to the mission and goals of the University through their dedication to customer service.
Because the Residential Safety and Security office is a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week operation, this position requires flexible hours at the discretion of the Director of Residential Safety and Security.
Primary shift will be:
Friday and Saturday: Off
Employee must have the flexibility to work on several projects concurrently. Demonstrate diplomacy and sensitivity in working with confidential matters. Requires sound judgement and analytical skills; attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy and follow through; ability to work under pressure with a positive attitude. Negotiation and mediation skills are required and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team. Must be able to work effectively in a culturally diverse environment and possess enthusiasm for higher education and have an overall commitment to excellence in customer service. Ideal candidate: outgoing, detail-oriented team player that is able to communicate clearly to a diverse student, parent, and staff population.
• Master’s in Student Personnel or related degree required. The ideal candidate has 5-7 years’ experience on College/University setting with background in safety and security.
• Customer Service Skills: professionalism; diplomatic; reliable and consistent service; ability to assess problems and customer needs; Able to handle difficult customers and situations.
• Some experience with housing database systems preferred
• Management experience and experience supervising full time professional staff: leadership skills; ability to motivate others; diplomatic and consistent; conflict mediation skills; able to work as a part of a team; some training and development experience preferred;
• Excellent organization skills- Attention to details.
• Knowledge of PCs, Word, Excel, Windows applications and website maintenance and development. Functional use of database applications preferred.
• Strong Communication and Public Speaking Skills: Ability to communicate information to large groups of parents and students at Orientation and Admissions Open House presentations; listens well; good verbal and written skills, including the ability to proofread publications and other written materials.
• Demonstrate ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high traffic environment.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential materials.
• Willingness and ability to adapt and learn quickly new policies and procedures.
This position requires a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Careers@Northeastern
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency