Parent Network Specialist - Center for Excellence in Disabilities at West Virginia University
Posted in Nonprofit - Social Services 11 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia
The West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a Parent Network Specialist to serve Morgantown/Monongalia County. This position will work collaboratively with the WV Department of Health and Human Resources (WV DHHR) Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Program to improve the quality of life for children with special health care needs and their families.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Complete frequent independent travel for home visits throughout assigned region.
- Receive and respond to referrals to assist families in self-managing their child’s health care services.
- Provide organizational tools and guidance to families who have a need for more intensive support.
- Facilitate social connections through parent-to-parent support groups and information sessions.
- Participate in meetings with the CSHCN social worker or nurse on cases that the Parent Network Specialist has been involved in or may soon become involved in.
- Identify and promote local opportunities for accessible recreation and socially engaging activities to supplement the medical home recommendations.
- Conduct surveys, facilitate community meetings and guide conversation to gather input from families about their experiences and needs.
- Maintain active quarterly membership in local Family Resource Networks and other social service groups statewide.
- Assist families with completion of self-assessments and coach families on self-advocacy skills.
- Keep accurate medical records within the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) guidelines, as well as WVDHHR and CSHCN guidelines.
- Participate in program development, including reviews of policies, procedures, promotional materials, etc.
- High school diploma or GED; associates degree preferred
- At least six (6) months of related experience
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Life experience as a parent/guardian of a child with a special health care need who has functional limitations and service needs required
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and coordinate meetings and program presentations