Water Treatment Plant Operator U537R at Pennsylvania American Water
Posted in Manufacturing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Position will be rotating days/hours.
To have active involvement in and make process control decisions associated with the operation and maintenance of water purification systems and related wastewater processes.
- Operate, maintain, control and perform routine repair of plant equipment including preventive maintenance duties.
- Establish, maintain and control flow through the water treatment process and into and within the distribution system.
- Maintain process control through the water treatment and wastewater processes including the establishment, maintenance, calibration and adjustment of chemical feed rates necessary to optimize the process operation.
- Monitor the water treatment plant and water distribution system and make adjustments as necessary to control their operation.
- Maintain all necessary records.
- Perform water quality sampling, testing and analysis to determine compliance with federal, state and PAWC’s standards.
Key Accountabilities Cont.
- Loading, unloading, handling, placing into storage and batching water treatment plant chemicals.
- Operate and maintain raw water facilities including reservoir supply, transmission and pumping facilities.
- Perform general maintenance duties at water treatment plant and related facilities and other assigned duties.
Knowledge / Skills
- Knowledge of water treatment processes, basic scientific concepts and water quality standards and regulation and Company procedures.
Working knowledge of basic mechanical and automated control systems.
Water Works Operator certificate (Class A, Type 1) or ability to obtain in the time required by the PAWC Personnel Policy.
Communicate in an effective manner both oral and written with the general public and Company personnel. Read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc.
Mathematical skills sufficient to be able to calculate dosages, surface areas, volumes, weights, measures and algebraic formulas.
Mechanical ability sufficient to operate pumps, valves, motors and other mechanical equipment related to plant operation and maintenance.
Physical fitness- capable of lifting and/or carrying 50 lbs. or more on a frequent basis. Walking up and down stairs. Working in confined areas. Ability to wear a respirator.
Environmental conditions including contact with water, chemicals, fumes, odors and dust as a result of working with and handling potentially hazardous water treatment and laboratory chemicals. Minimum exposure to inclement weather mostly of short duration.
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
- High School graduate or state recognized education equivalency certificate.
- College course work and/or degree in biology, chemistry, environmental science or engineering curriculum are desired.
- Must possess a valid PA driver’s license.
- Attend continuing education as needed for Operator certification renewal.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.