SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER, PLATFORM API at Planet
Posted in Software 18 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: San Francisco, California
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet’s mission is to image the whole world every day and make global change visible, accessible and actionable.
We build compact satellites and have launched the largest fleet of satellites in history. We control every component of hardware design and manufacturing, so our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
With our humble beginnings in a Cupertino Garage, to a scrappy team of engineers hacking our initial satellite builds, we now find ourselves with brand new technology and market traction for our revolutionary web-based platform. Customers now have insight into the massive data we are collecting from space as well as the opportunity to perform advanced analytics and solve difficult problems with new insights.
Planet has a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Be a part of our mission and help us build a company that is changing the world.
We are currently seeking a Senior Software Engineer on the Public API Services Team.
The Public API Services team is responsible for building, maintaining, documenting, and monitoring Planet's public-facing APIs and services. Our tools allow users to programmatically search and download terabytes of satellite imagery, order and move data in bulk, and quickly visualize medium- and high-resolution Planet imagery across space and time.
We're looking for a smart, curious engineer to work on Tile Services, the mechanism by which we deliver Planet Imagery to the web and desktop applications. If you're not sure what a tile service does, you can see it in action in Planet Explorer. Take a minute to zoom around and explore. Pretty neat, right? There's a lot of server-sided tooling behind the scenes to make these maps fast and responsive. That's where you come in.
As the demand and the features for our Tile Services grow, we are looking for a senior software engineer with strong systems background to help scale our services. Our tech stack is Golang, Python, Docker, Kubernetes running on AWS and Google Cloud.
The Candidate Must:
- Have 8+ years of software development experience
- Have experience designing and implementing service oriented architectures
- Have a track record of successfully building, releasing, and supporting highly available, consistently performant services
- Own operation of services by measuring performance, creating alerts, runbooks, and responding to incidents and performance anomalies
- Be diligent about documenting and explaining your work for colleagues and end users.
- Have opinions about the “state of the art” of backend server architectures.
The Candidate Should:
- Have 1+ years of Golang experience
- Have production experience with high-scale container managers such as kubernetes
- Be familiar with geo-spatial data, satellite imagery, large-scale image processing, and remote sensing
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's Dreamforce Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video