Engineer IV-Packaging Closures at The Coca-Cola Company
Posted in Architecture 16 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Location(s):United States of America
Job Posting End Date:
Position Overview:Why Join Coca-Cola North America?
It’s an exciting time to work in The Coca-Cola Company’s flagship market. We’re accelerating our momentum as the fastest-growing large consumer goods company in North America by putting people at the heart of our business and everything we do – whether we’re innovating to give consumers the drinks and packaging sizes they want, or building our eCommerce capabilities. People are our focus when we’re collaborating with our diverse network of locally-connected bottling partners, and when we’re returning every drop of water we use to communities and nature. And people – with the different backgrounds, skills and perspectives they bring to our workplace – are helping transform our business, one big idea at a time. We empower our employees to challenge the status quo, make bold recommendations, experiment and adapt, so we can grow together and make a great business even better.
The Packaging Engineer IV, Closures is responsible for conducting development and establishing the feasibility of breakthrough packaging closure technologies to the existing and emerging beverage portfolio. The role will include assessing new technologies, proposing routes to new package formats, leveraging external technology from other markets, guiding current and new suppliers, and implementing new concepts in a scalable fashion. Additionally, the candidate will work closely with the Plastics COE and Marketing to create highly differentiated concepts and technology platforms by linking consumer insights to new ideas. They will build business models and solutions from concept through functional prototype stage to validated package.
Function Specific Activities:
Function Related Activities/Key Responsibilities
• Plastic closure development across various packaging materials, process technologies and finish styles
• Manage work with external vendors, suppliers, universities and design agencies to enable agile development and quick decision-making.
• Lead high-profile projects that involve cross-functional teams. Includes the ability to manage large budgets, broad scopes, multiple suppliers and/or team members from partner companies.
• Develop and apply technical knowledge and establish credibility with highly technical audiences in order to build technical relationships that will benefit customers or the Company.
• Engineering Analysis: Apply analytical engineering tools including critical path problem solving, fault tree analysis and root cause failure analysis for the purpose of determining design feasibility and identifying sources of variation from designed performance specifications.
• Collaborate with stakeholders to ensure project progress and maximize value to the System.
• Leverage subject matter expertise across global packaging network
• Design, prototype & assess (e.g., through pilot plant testing and validation) packaging technologies and concepts to product and process specifications (e.g., functionality and operational feasibility), as well as develop value chain and economic feasibility analysis for candidate packaging solutions.
•Support development of strategic packaging technology platforms and make recommendations to Company management (e.g., senior technical management) about emerging packaging trends & opportunities, technology capabilities or scientific breakthroughs to support the Company's strategic direction.
Education Requirements: BSE in Packaging Engineering or other related field (Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering). Master’s in engineering or MBA a plus.
Related Work Experience:
• The ideal candidate will have 7-10 years of relevant experience in packaging R&D and packaging design, or commercialization in areas of packaging materials or processing.
• Experienced in facilitating & driving consumer needs based concepting and linking with existing or emerging technologies to develop winning business solutions.
• Base knowledge of materials physics, structure and property relationships, including packaging application/forming processes.
• Track record of developing and commercializing significant new packaging technologies and/or materials to solve & drive business objectives.
• Beverage Packaging Manufacturing Processes: Knowledge of beverage packaging manufacturing process; includes understanding how changes will affect products – consumer experience and supply chain impact. Knowledge of material handling processes for moving materials/products throughout the manufacturing and distribution process.
• Pilot Plant: Knowledge of scaling up of technology from bench / concept levels. Familiar with vendors/suppliers available and their capabilities.
• Effectively communicates and influences non-technical senior managers.
• IP and Confidentiality: Experience managing confidentiality, handling agreements, and comfort with advanced patent searching techniques. The ideal candidate will have multiple patents/ applications for commercialized technology.
Define, Develop and Execute Technical Strategies for Package Research & Development: Define, develop, and execute consumer-centric End-to-End technical strategies to drive the categories and brands required to accelerate our transition to a total beverage company. Define, develop and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency and quality of R&T work.
Define, Develop and Execute Winning Solutions for Package Research & Development: Define, develop, and execute sustainable business and winning technical solutions by leveraging insights, technological opportunities, BU/ Bottler capability, business case creation/ validation, technological opportunities, risk assessment and management, leveraging the power of our System and its people. Design, develop, and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency, and quality of R&D work.
Design, Develop and Execute Technical Projects for Package Research & Development: Design, develop and execute technical projects (e.g. product prototypes, packaging feature, process element, stability test, consumer validation, single research experiment, chemical analysis, etc.). Design, develop and execute processes that enhance the speed, efficiency and quality of R&D work.
Technical Project Management for Package Research & Development: Establish priorities and lead processes for planning technical work and monitoring progress to achieve desired outcomes. Influence buy-in for strategic project plan from stakeholders and key contributors. Lead and maintain collaborative, proactive communication and ensure appropriate documentation with all involved parties to gauge and manage expectations.
Learning Agility for Package Research & Development: A person’s speed to learn. Ability to rapidly study, analyze, and apply new technologies. Ability and willingness to learn from experience and external benchmarking.
Years of Experience:7-10 Years Experience
- DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business(encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
- COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to approximately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
- ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our Brands, our System, our customers, and key stakeholders.
- INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
- DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.