Teaching Associate (4329U) #24630 at University of California-Berkeley
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Berkeley, California
Teaching Associate (4329U) #24630
CEP Upward Bound Program
Return to Previous Page
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 3/19/18
Teaching Associates are responsible for supporting and helping facilitate engaging and academically rigorous courses geared towards emerging sophomores, juniors and seniors. Teaching Associates will be asked to work alongside one of our instructors, work with students in groups and individually on their projects and facilitate study hall. All instruction will be held at the UC Berkeley Campus.
* Attend Staff Training: June 2-3
* Attend Welcome Conference: June 9
* Provide Instruction: June 11 July 13
* Debriefing: July 23 24
* Assisting with individualized and small group instruction during study hall
* Attend weekly staff meetings (1 hour/1 day a week)
* Assisting instructor with set-up and clean-up of classroom
* Assisting with attendance-taking, grading and inputting grades
* Participating in selected program activities
* Other duties as assigned
Policies and Procedures
* All employees must comply with all policies and procedures set forth in the staff manual
* Employees must complete a Mandated Reporter Course (4 hours). Mandated reporters are required by CA law to report and known or suspected instances of child abuse or neglect to the county welfare department or local law enforcement agency.
* This is a sensitive position and finalists are subject to a criminal background check. Employment is contingent on successful completion of this background check.
* One year of coursework at a university, college, or community college
* Experience working with teenage students, preferably in an educational context
* Ability to facilitate and organize tutorial sessions for 5-10 high school students
* Ability to work in an intensive, fast-paced summer schedule
* Ability to work collaboratively
* Ability to incorporate technology in the classroom
* Cross-cultural awareness
* Understanding of issues faced by LIFG students
* Passion for working with underrepresented students
Salary & Benefits
The hourly salary for this position is $17/hour.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
The approximate appointment duration is June 2, 2018 - July 24 ,2018
Class: Monday Thursday, 9 am 12 pm
Study Hall: Monday, Wednesday, 7 pm 9 pm
Humanities/Science Workshops: Friday, 9 am-12 pm (optional)
Applied and Pure Mathematics, Humanities (Writing, Research, Critical Theory, etc.), Sciences (Physical, Biological, Earth Sciences)
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
Return to Previous Page