Sewing Machine Operator at Olgoonik
Posted in Construction 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by Careerbuilder
Location: Camp Pendleton, CaliforniaJob Description:
This position is responsible for sewing garments for production, monitoring the quality of the final item, and operating an automatic sewing machine.
- Operate power sewing machines to sew, alter, or repair wearing apparel, linens, blankets, and other fabric articles.
- Draw thread through guides, tensions, needles, and adjust machine functions according to fabric type.
- Position item under needle using marks on machine, clamp or template, edges of cloth, or markings on cloth as a guide.
- Turn knobs, screws, and dials to adjust settings of machine according to garment style and observation of operation.
- Replace and rethread needles.
- Guide garment or garment parts under machine needle and presser foot to sew parts together.
- Position material or article in clamps, template, or hoop frame prior to automatic operation of machine.
- Sew replacement parts or missing stitches according to repair tickets.
- Observe sewing machine operation to detect defects in stitching or machine malfunction.
- Remove holding devices and finished item from machine.
- Select supplies such as fasteners and thread according to specifications or characteristics of fabric.
- Baste edges of material to align and temporarily secure garment parts for final assembly.
- Draw markings or pin applique on fabric to obtain variation in design and mark stitching errors with pins or tape.
- Replace sewing machine parts and performs basic maintenance such as oiling machine.
- Cut material and thread using scissors.
- Inspect garments and examine repair tags and markings on garment to locate defects or damage.
- Design and make articles for special purposes.
- Sew leather and utilize heat sealing machines to patch articles.
- Review work for accuracy, neatness, and to determine if instructions have been met.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 2-3 years' experience in related field.
- Previous sewing machine experience required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate in English.
- Ability to pay attention to detailed sewing requirements.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the appropriate tools to sew with.
- Ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements with fingers, hands, and wrists.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong client/customer service skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently as well as work effectively with a team.
- Organized, reliable, and responsible.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The employee must be able to stand, walk and sit for a prolonged period of time; use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; operate office equipment; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close and distant vision. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds.
The employee will primarily working in a sewing room providing sewing services for a government contract.