Sr Technical Writer at Medtronic
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Mounds View, Minnesota
Sr. Technical Writer
Careers that Change Lives
Technical Writing is a critical role at Medtronic. You will be responsible for planning, research, and providing technical writing support as well as product labeling within the Technical Communications- Cardiac and Vascular Group.
The Cardiac and Vascular Group brings all of our cardiac and vascular businesses together into one cross-functional, collaborative operating unit to employ the full breadth of our talent, technologies, products, services, and solutions to address the needs of customers and patients across the globe.
Day in Life-
Seasoned technical writing professional who provides labeling support to product development teams, including:
- Able to translate complex product information into concise,compliant, easy-to-follow instructions for use.
- Broad understanding of the impact of language localization and its effect on English content.
- Comprehensive project management, including development and maintenance of work breakdown structure, project schedule, and
- Acquire subject knowledge by interviewing writers, product developers, regulatory, quality, and marketing personnel, and by
- referring to the product, technical specifications, and engineering illustrations and trade journals.
- Manage stakeholder input and negotiate content development strategy for complex product development and sustaining
- engineering projects.
- Solid understanding in how regulations, laws, standards, productspecifications, and internal procedures impact IFU design.
- Respond to new or changed user requirements by planning changes or improvements to IFU content.
- Influence product implementation plan through labeling architecture and electronic labeling strategy.
- Coordinate IFU translations through internal or external sources.
- Coordinate the review and approval of technical documents for a project team in enterprise configuration management systems.
Represents organization as a primary contact for specific projects and initiatives; communicates with internal and external customers.
Work with translation partners to broaden the business' understanding of content localization and the need for well-written global English content.
Solid understanding of process and able to represent CVG Technical Communication in both internal and external audits.
Partner with CVG Technical Communication Program Managers:
- Provide input to Annual Operating Plan (AOP) activities by helping to identify project scope, strategy, and resources.
- Develop innovative solutions to problems.
- Remove project roadblocks for more junior Technical Writers.
May lead implementation of department projects.
- Provide input, or direct the development of, new procedures to implement process improvement initiatives.
- Lead or contribute to special initiatives, consistent with organizational objectives.
- Apply creativity and innovation to solve difficult problems related systems, processes, and tools.
- Collaborate with functional and technical leaders inside and outside of Technical Communication to oversee current projects and to set the direction for future projects.
Must Have: Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree
- 4+ years of experience in technical writing with a Masters' degree
- 6+ years of experience in technical writing with a BA/BS degree
Nice to Have:
- Demonstrated expertise in technical writing
- Proven application of project management tools
- Experience working with cross-functional project teams
- Working knowledge of software technologies used for writing, publishing and document control.
- Understanding of product labeling development in a regulated industry.
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to learn and adapt to changes in technology, processes, and requirements
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of Medtronic and its products
Understanding of the following topics:
- ISO regulations, FDA QAR design controls, Good Manufacturing
- Process (GMP), etc.
- User experience principles
- Authoring in XML in a single-source content development
- Ability to work effectively across disciplines to implement creative
- solutions to complex problems
- Writing for a global audience
Certification in any of the following disciplines:
- Lean Six Sigma
- Change Management
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.