Plant Engineering Project Engineer at United Parcel Service, Inc
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
The Project Engineering (PE) Supervisor manages construction projects of low to moderate complexity and risk (i.e., conveyor installations and facility modifications). He/She ensures adherence to contract documentation, scheduled timelines, and cost control parameters. This position may develop project documentation (e.g., Request for Appropriation project scope of work, estimates, etc.). This position supervises others within the department.
The PE Supervisor conducts feasibility studies to determine scope of project and specific design needs. He/She designs systems and creates drawings and blueprints to meet feasibility study requirements. This position estimates construction costs using an online Project Estimate Worksheet to document process steps and their cost implications. The PE Supervisor communicates cross-functionally to gain support for projects and drive schedule compliance. He/She reviews consultant drawings to ensure compliance with UPS standards and safety regulations (e.g., Occupational Health and Safety).
* Completes the bid package process (e.g., bid creation, bid evaluation, background check, bid award, etc.) to select the most competitive bid and competent vendor for contracts (e.g., soils, survey, conveyor, conveyor electrical, etc.).
* Requests and evaluates bids and proposals according to competitive bid, background check, and competence of identified vendors to recommend the awarding of contracts.
* Develops project schedules to ensure adherence to deadlines.
* Investigates mechanical breakdown problems (e.g., conveyor system failures, operator errors, system design flaws, etc.) to prevent a decrease in productivity and efficiency.
* Collaborates with the Plant Engineering Manager to create design modifications for construction projects involving systems to improve productivity and minimize downtime.
* Identifies areas for construction process improvement and design solutions to achieve optimal package flow efficiency.
* Evaluates budget performance, analyzes sources of overage, and negotiates with vendors to prevent future changes to project scope.
* Checks appropriation of funding against original contract to ensure contractors are adhering to Plant Engineering Project Administration budget or other cost tracking documentation.
* Maintains cost log and project management checklist, processes invoices, and releases funds to contractors to facilitate and document project completion.
* Conducts construction inspections of materials and installations to ensure performance meets UPS standards, repairs are completed within scheduled deadlines, and quality materials are utilized.
* Business, Financial, and Industry Knowledge: Demonstrates a general understanding of industry and financial trends impacting UPS and/or customers organizations; identifies the organizational structure and functions within a business.
* Estimation and Forecasting Knowledge: Specifies facts, research, and perspectives necessary to make projections; analyzes statistics and qualitative information within specified parameters; researches trends and conditions used to make projections.
* Physical Assets Management: Demonstrates a basic knowledge of physical asset management; identifies physical resources to meet business needs; describes the appropriate use of existing physical tools, equipment, and materials.
* Project Planning: Develops and executes project management plans for basic projects of short duration requiring limited coordination and resources; supports initiatives with well-defined project needs and cross-functional roles/responsibilities throughout the project life cycle; manages minimal organizational resistance to cross-functional project demands; employs project management tools and technology (e.g., Microsoft Project, Program Management Group website, etc.) appropriately.
* Vendor/Supplier Management: Demonstrates a broad understanding of UPS and vendor business needs and goals; reviews and recommends appropriate vendors based on business needs to internal stakeholders; provides input into the creation of vendor contracts or agreements; communicates expectations to vendors.
* Bachelor s degree (or internationally comparable degree) Preferred
* Bachelor s degree (or internationally comparable degree) Engineering, Science - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.