Posted in Other 22 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Baytown, Texas
At Houston Methodist, the weekend, Surgical Technologist I position requires novice to competent knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. This position records data established by policy and procedure and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Surgical Technologist I position, under the direction of the surgeon, assists the surgeon and/or surgical assistant during the operative procedure by carrying out tasks including but not limited to sponging, suctioning, cutting suture, and holding retractors. This position provides general patient care and department upkeep as delegated by licensed personnel. The Surgical Technologist I position is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices, relationship-centered care in concert with the Houston Methodist Values.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
* Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
* INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
* COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
* ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
* RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
* EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
* Focuses on patient/customer safety
* Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
* Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
* Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
* Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
* Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional.
* Contributes to a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team to achieve optimal department results. Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole.
SERVICE - 25%
* Prepares room, equipment and supplies to accommodate planned procedures. Gathers all instruments and supplies for each assigned procedure and ensures that the set-up is ready before surgeon scrubs.
* Supports the surgeon during surgical procedures, performing the surgical tech role in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to, as appropriate: orthopedics, gynecology, general, ENT, ophthalmology, urology, spine, neurology, oral/maxillofacial, and minimally invasive procedures.
* Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle, and other surgical counts.
* Accurately communicates updates surgeon preference cards.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
* Prepares the operating room for surgical procedures, ensuring that surgical equipment is functioning properly and safely.
* Maintains the sterile field for surgical procedures by preparing sterile supplies, instruments, and equipment using sterile technique. Assists with the care of instruments, equipment, and supplies following surgical procedure.
* Reports observed variances in practices, established hospital and department policies, procedures, and standards to department management.
* Contributes towards meeting quality and safety targets on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional health care team.
FINANCE - 15%
* Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members.
* Maintains efficient use of surgical supplies and minimizes opening of supplies until confirmation that will be used during surgery does not waste supplies.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
* Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond novice competencies with a focus on continual development.
* Participates in department projects and shared governance activities.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
* High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
* Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology program or military training equivalency
* 0 years experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* American Heart Association BLS
* Certification by the Surgical Technologist Association
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
* Demonstrates understanding of medical terminology.
* Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Equal Employment Opportunity. Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.