Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Cranbury, New Jersey
The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press is seeking a Systems Engineer for our Cranbury Technical Center.
This position would provide world-class support for AP's global multimedia applications and take a leading role in cross-platform & cloud-based infrastructure projects and finding architectural solutions and resolutions to service related issues. The Systems Engineer ensures the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house & cloud-based information systems that support core functions for AP global news products. This is achieved by implementing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked application software and UNIX/Linux/Windows operating systems.
The Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments.
This position reports to the Director of Application Operations in Technology Development.
There are currently three Data Centers based in the US and one principal International Data Center in the UK. The technical landscape is complex and heterogeneous. The systems at The Associated Press are a mixture of UNIX, Linux, and Microsoft Windows based. Server environments exist in data centers, bureaus, and in the public cloud spaces and are supported both from US and International technical support teams.
* Design, deploy, and provide support for new applications and enhancements to existing applications and software. Deploy, maintain, and upgrade UNIX, Linux, and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
* Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of UNIX, Linux, and Windows based infrastructure; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
* Collaborate with development and network staff to ensure smooth and reliable deployment & operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
* Work with executive team members, decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues.
* Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system & application configuration, workflow mapping, processes, and service records.
* Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed systems & cloud technologies to aid management in making implementation decisions.
* Provide orientation and training to end-users & operations support staff for all modified and new systems & services.
* Cloud governance, asset life-cycle management, TCO analysis.
* Manage a team of engineers integrating/supporting a variety of applications on UNIX, Linux, Windows based operating systems.
* Four-year college diploma or university degree in computer science or software engineering and/or 5 years equivalent work experience.
* Must be able to install, configure, and maintain Red Hat / CentOS Linux, and Microsoft Windows server environments.
* Experience with cloud administration/management on Amazon Web Services (Cloud Front, Cloud Watch, EBS, EC2, ELB, SNS, SQS, VPC), Windows Azure (Web Role, Worker Role, VM Role, CDN, Service Bus), and SQL Azure.
* Experience in implementing hardware and/or software-based RAID solutions.
* Working knowledge of TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, NIS, SSH, Apache, NFS, Tomcat, MySQL, IIS.
* Strong hands-on experience implementing, upgrading and supporting Drupal 7 and 8 is mandatory.
* Experience with implementing system security and hardening.
* Experience in administering/troubleshooting a TCP/IP networking environment.
* Experience performing production updates in a 24/7 environment.
* Demonstrated experience with Windows, Red Hat, and/or CentOS Linux.
* Minimum 3 years IT management experience.
* Demonstrated experience with DEVOPS automation processes and methodologies using tools such as Puppet, Jenkins, TFS, GIT and Containerization are required.
* Demonstrated experience in Unix Shell, PERL, Microsoft Power Shell, Ruby scripting are required.
* Demonstrated experience with MySQL, Microsoft SQL database technologies a plus.
* Proven experience with cross-platform systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
* Good project & time management skills.
* Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
* Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
* Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
* Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
* Strong customer service orientation.
* Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
* On-call availability
Application Deadline: December 31, 2019 @ 11:59 pm EST
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.