Posted in Other 8 days ago.
Type: Full Time
* Job Type: Support Staff - Union --
* Bargaining Unit: TWU - B&G
* Regular/Temporary: Regular
* End Date if Temporary:
* Hours Per Week: 40
* Salary Range: $33.26 - $41.58 per hour
Shift: Monday - Friday, 7:00am-3:30pm
Reporting to the managers of the Chiller Maintenance Shop, performs operations as required by job work order and/or blueprint or diagram, associated with new installations, upgrades, preventive maintenance and repairs of various types of plant equipment used in building heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
Responsibilities * Must have thorough knowledge of these systems and chilled water plant equipment.
* Ability to intercept and understand basic electrical equipment and have knowledge of basic electrical troubleshooting related to refrigeration plant and auxiliary equipment without supervision.
* Shall be proficient in the employment of all tools, methods and materials pertaining to the mechanical trades.
* Must be proficient in analyzing defects, failures and modifications of equipment and performing corrective measures.
* Must be proficient in the use of electric and oxy/acetylene welding and cutting equipment.
* Assume responsibility for the conduct of the shop in the absence of the Manager.
* In the event the Manager is unavailable or during or after working hours emergency, the Head Mechanic will call in the necessary personnel to make repairs or respond himself/herself and assign work as necessary.
* Assumes responsibility to oversee and advise other mechanics in the proper use of tools and materials and the proper observation of safety rules and regulations in the course of their work.
* Ability to communicate orally, in writing and direct and instruct employees.
* Provide estimates for jobs that pertain to Refrigeration Plant Operation and HVAC related areas.
* Assist shop supervisor with daily monitoring of the work management system.
Minimum Qualifications * High School diploma, GED and/or its equivalent required.
* Qualification as a Mechanic or equivalent title, or higher.
* Five years of experience in trades and/or technical discipline.
* Must have all applicable licenses and permits.
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, regulations, and operating and maintenance instructions, blueprints, schematics, diagrams and procedure manuals.
* Ability to prepare routine reports and correspondence.
* Ability to effectively define problems, collect, data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
* Ability to effectively interpret technical instructions necessary to carry out the above duties and skills, and create sketch of work as needed.
* The incumbent must be able to perform duties on ladders and scaffolding; indoor and outdoors; as well as lifting a maximum of 50lbs, and moving heavier objects with assertive devices.
* The work environment includes working near or with moving mechanical parts, chemical, and electrical equipment.
* Must have a minimum of two (2) years technical training in HVAC field.
* Eight (8) years experience in the HVAC field including preventive / corrective maintenance of central chilled water systems.
* Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing, and to direct and instruct employees.
* Must have the following FDNY Certificate of Fitness: A-35 \\"To Operate and Maintain Air Compressors\\"F-60 \\"Fire Guard for Touch Operations and Construction Site\\"G-60 \\"Touch Use of Flammable Gases for Hotwork Operations\\"
FDNY refrigeration license desirable.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.