Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Requisition Id 3372
We are seeking a Group Leader for HPC Infrastructure and Networking in the National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS). Selection will be based on qualifications, relevant experience, skills, and education. NCCS Provides state-of-the-art computational and data science infrastructure coupled with dedicated technical and scientific professionals tackling large-scale problems across a broad range of scientific domains for accelerating scientific discovery and engineering advances. NCCS hosts the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility, one of DOE s National User Facilities.
Provide leadership to a group that strategically advances technical professional subject matter expertise for a variety of technical projects, programs or operations consistent with ORNL s aspiration to be the world s premier R&D institution and ORNL s science culture.
The Technical Group Leader brings together a group of peers with the primary goal of pursuing global leadership in their field, nurtures ORNL s culture among group members, and continues to build and scale up individual excellence and impact. The Technical Group Leader reports to and works closely with the Section Head to implement the group s technical vision; develops group members to enable their career advancement; establishes capabilities that enable programs to excel at the forefront of technical professional expertise; works to solve technical challenges for science, engineering, or technical projects and functions; sets, implements, and models standards for performance of work consistent with Environment, Safety, Security, Health, and Quality (ESH&Q) requirements and business rules; and ensures a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels safe, heard, and appreciated a workplace that sets an example for the broader community.
Technical professionals are recognized leaders in their area by providing subject matter expertise for a variety of technical projects, programs, or operations. Solves technical challenges for science, engineering, operations or projects.
The Group Leader will guide the HPC Infrastructure and Networking Group to design, implement, and operate all networking and system services that are common to all HPC and storage services in NCCS.
- Develop a vision and implement a cohesive group strategy to ensure the success of new and ongoing technical projects to position the group for future success.
- Develop and implement plans to exploit new opportunities and/or expand existing efforts.
- Assist staff in setting performance goals consistent with the group s strategy and members long-term career goals. Provide feedback to address performance issues in a timely manner.
- Provide relevant input to assist the Technical Section Head with staff development while providing direct and impactful guidance to staff on regular basis.
- Attract a quality, diverse pool of top candidates and hire staff members who are committed to world-class technology and aspire to be the best in their field.
- Lead by example by exercising the principles in ORNL s Research Code of Conduct as a guide for proposing, performing, and communicating research.
- Coach and mentor staff regarding Battelle s Safe Conduct of Research principles
- Lead ESH&Q by example and ensure all work is carried out safely, securely, and in compliance with ORNL policies, standards, and procedures.
- Exemplify a commitment to One ORNL by modeling lab expectations for excellence in research, operations, and community engagement, and by working cooperatively to leverage capabilities across the lab.
- Serve as immediate supervisor for staff members in group.
- Encourage staff to think and dream big, take appropriate risks in their work, and develop skills that will enable them to pursue new ideas, technical passions, and programs.
- Advance the reputation of the group members and standing of the group as a whole through establishing collaborations, Professional Society leadership and involvement, and organization of technical events.
- Support group members by consistently reviewing technical products such as proposals, publications, and artifacts to ensure high quality and consistency with ORNL standards.
- Build strong teams across ORNL.
- Connect staff to your network and professional societies.
- Hold regular technical group meetings and be visible in the labs and workplace.
- Assume front-line responsibility for safety in the group s laboratory; mentor and empower the Laboratory Space Managers to create a strong safety culture.
- Effectively communicate the importance of protecting proprietary or sensitive information and complying with ORNL security, cybersecurity policies and guidelines.
- To group staff, for the quality and safety of their work environment and opportunity for professional growth.
- To R&D section head, for world-leading technical directions, safe effective, and compliant operations, ownership of assigned staff, facilities, and equipment, and the quality of products and services.
- To customer, for the quality of products and service
- Develop a vision and implement a strategy to pursue world-leading technical/technology directions for the group.
- Hold staff accountable for performance
- Act to ensure safe and effective operations
- Hire staff
- Certify the technical quality of the group s products and services
- Requires a Ph.D. with a minimum of 4 years relevant experiences, a M.S. with a minimum of 7 years experiences, a B.S. with 8 years relevant experiences, or significant relevant experiences.
- Qualified candidates should have demonstrated experience in leading technical teams
- Other qualifications are section specific
- Qualified candidates should have demonstrated management experience
- History of engagement with Department of Energy and national laboratory complex, particularly leadership class computing
- Exceptional communication, planning, collaboration, and customer service skills.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.