The Cheese Maker is responsible for overseeing the cheese making process to produce a finished product which meets or exceeds the requirements of cheese standards and those of the customer.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs all functions associated with processing milk into cheese within the guidelines of the standard operating
- Follows a specific recipe and time constraints to achieve optimum yields.
- Safely and effectively operates pasteurizing equipment.
- Controls cheese culture using time and temperatures with good manufacturing programs.
- Understands the function, application and use of cultures, molds, coagulants, enzymes and milk.
- Knowledgeable in cleaning chemical application and safety.
- Ensures proper knowledge of Critical Control Point.
- Performs sanitation requirements and master sanitation schedules.
- Keeps accurate records of all actions, runs accurate tests and takes accurate samples.
- Cleans and sanitizes equipment according to procedures.
- Documents chemical concentrations.
- Evaluates performance of Cheese Maker Assistants and trains and coaches as needed.
- Assists in any other areas of the manufacturing plant when necessary.
· Must have a Cheese Maker License (or ability to obtain with specified time frame of hire).
· Must have a minimum high school diploma or equivalent skills by experience.
· Must be able to read, interpret and understand written and oral directions.
· Knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials and supplies needed.
· Must demonstrate basic math skills to calculate production yields, and understand weights and measures.
· Ability to communicate verbally and in writing and understand and write in the English language.
· Must be able to work flexible hours and weekends. Position is hourly and OT eligible.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Sit, stand or walk for prolonged periods of time.
- Use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms on a repetitive
- Must be able to lift, bend, stoop, push/pull exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds
frequently and/or up to 20 pounds constantly to move objects.
- Requires visual acuity to review written documentations; ability to hear and understand speech.
- There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- There is exposure to a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, and exposure to heat/cold temperature changes.