Posted in Other 17 days ago.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, The Tulane University Biodiversity Research Institute
Belle Chasse, Louisiana
May 29, 2023
Imageomics Institute Postdoctoral Research Associate
The Tulane University Biodiversity Research Institute (TUBRI) is searching for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to involve in exciting new biology-guided, machine-learning research for two-years. TUBRI is a research center of Tulane's School of Science and Engineering, located on the grounds of the F. Edward Hebert Research Center in Belle Chasse, Louisiana, a suburb of New Orleans. TUBRI houses the Royal D. Suttkus Fish Collection and specializes in biodiversity discovery (primarily involving fishes) and biodiversity informatics research.
The postdoctoral research position is supported by a NSF Harnessing the Data Revolution Institute grant project entitled, Imageomics: A New Frontier of Biological Information Powered by Knowledge-Guided Machine Learning. This collaborative, multi-investigator project involves biologists and computer scientists who are applying machine-learning methods to extract phenotypic trait data from images of a variety of types of biological specimens. The learning is aided by structured biological knowledge such as, annotated traits, an anatomy ontology and phylogenetic trees. The postdoctoral researcher will contribute to ongoing efforts to extract trait data from images of fish specimens under the mentorship of Henry L. Bart Jr., Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and TUBRI Director, and Dr. Yasin Bakış, TUBRI's Senior Manager of Biodiversity Informatics and Data Engineering. The TUBRI postdoc will have opportunities to interact with other biologists, computer scientists, postdocs, and students from the ten other universities and research centers involved in the Imageomics Institute.
The postdoctoral research associate will contribute to all aspects of ongoing work on the Imageomics Institute project at TUBRI, including:
1. Developing algorithms to extract data on fish morphological traits (such as body shape, eye size and position, mouth size and orientation, fin positions and shape) from images of fish specimens and determining the utility of the extracted data for identifying fish species and quantifying differences in traits of fish specimens from different populations within species;
2. Extracting and analyzing other kinds of morphological data from images of fish specimens (outlines, color palettes, patterns in strips of pixels from different areas of the fish's body) for a new method of image analysis we are developing called "morphological barcoding";
3. Verifying data and project output quality and accuracy;
4. Supporting the TUBRI coding team bya. assisting with software design where biological expertise is needed,b. ensuring the software is properly documented,c. providing input during the coding process so that outputs are scientifically sound and publishable;
5. Attending project-related workshops, training programs, and meetings;
6. Keeping abreast of the latest literature relevant to the project;
7. Openly sharing findings with project collaborators;
8. Work collaboratively with Imageomics ML experts to explore new deep-learning methods;
9. Present analysis results at conferences and publish findings in scientific journals.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Required Education and/or Experience
PhD in Biological Sciences, Biodiversity Informatics, Computer Science, Information Sciences, Computational Biology/Bioinformatics, or a related field
To Apply Submit:
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Please Note: Tulane University has officially adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. All employees and visiting faculty must be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccination or obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to beginning employment.
Tulane University is located in New Orleans - a city with tremendous history of diverse cultures, community, and languages. Tulane is actively building a campus culture grounded in our values of EDI and anti-racism. We seek and welcome candidate applications from historically underrepresented groups, such as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color), women, LGBTQ , those living with disabilities, and veterans.
Tulane University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution committed to excellence through diversity and creating a community and culture that fosters a sense of belonging for all. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO and will not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital status, or any other status or classification protected by federal, state, or local law. It is important to us to intentionally seek candidates who are committed to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in support of Tulane's Strategy for Tomorrow and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
about 4 hours ago
Davidson Hospitality Group
about 4 hours ago
Davidson Hospitality Group
about 6 hours ago