Publisher at Bio Med
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
London or New York
Fixed Term: 9 months
Closing Date: 12th March 2017
The Open Research Group (ORG) of Springer Nature publishes a large portfolio of peer-reviewed open access journals across disciplines within STM (Science, Technology, and Medicine), spanning all areas of biology, medicine, and health, including broad interest titles such as BMC Medicine alongside specialist journals, such as Critical Care and Arthritis Research & Therapy.
We are looking for a talented individual to take accountability for the commercial success, strategic development and reputation for a large portfolio of journals in the Health Sciences (HS) team. Working alongside their manager, the Global Head of Health Sciences, the Publisher will be responsible for maximizing the efficiency and profitability of the portfolio and championing the needs of the portfolio, Editors-in-Chief, and sponsoring societies of journals within the portfolio.
As this is a publishing management role, the majority of the Publisher’s time and resources will be spent managing relationships internally (direct reports, management, other departments) and externally (EiCs, sponsoring society contacts, outreach and advocacy organizations). Using leadership and influencing skills, the Publisher will coach and manage their team to achieve business goals. Note that the Publisher will be responsible for managing (both directly and indirectly) a global team of up to 10-15 employees. While the Publisher will not be managing any journals themselves, they will be responsible for management oversight of a program of approximately 100 – 150 HS journals, which are directly managed by their respective team. The role will also have a very strong emphasis on business development/acquisition.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly motivated publishing professional to work in a high-growth environment.
Specific responsibilities of the Publisher include:
1. Line management within the HS team:
2. Understand and champion the needs of ORG HS, its Editors-in-Chief and sponsoring societies of journals within the portfolio:
3. Provide support to external customers (e.g. Editors-in-Chief, Society leadership):
4. Maximize the efficiency and profitability of a large portfolio of journals across a wide range of disciplines within the Health Sciences (HS) portfolio:
5. Contribute to the overall strategy and development of a portfolio of journals in the HS portfolio:
6. Build and develop new business:
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Extensive experience in publishing, preferably within an STM setting.
- Strong understanding of the Health Sciences market.
- Superior people management skills; experience managing a team in a global environment.
- Strong financial skills, including experience with budgeting and P&L oversight.
- Excellent communication skills, including oral and written presentation skills.
- Customer-focused approach.
- Strong prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Enthusiastic and committed.
- Approximately 30% - 40% travel required.
Strategy & Planning (incorporating Business Awareness)
- Understands the needs and direction of the business in context of market opportunities and threats, anticipates and develops business priorities to meet these. Embraces change and drives to improve current working practices/products/technologies to grow the business.
Society Relationship Management
- Extensive experience in managing society relationships, providing solutions, and negotiating.
- Experience in journal acquisition, including acquisition of society-owned titles, with experience in identifying potential acquisition targets (pre-RFP targeting); managing the RFP process, including critical assessment of the RFP document, P&L development, and proposal and presentation preparation and delivery.
Teamwork (incorporating Communication, Influencing and Trust)
- Build effective relationships through positive communication that motivates and influences others. Honest and trustworthy; a valued team member, actively involved in achieving team objectives. Works cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team.
- Use technical/job knowledge and experience to meet and exceed job requirements/customer expectations. Efficiently manages workload and projects within set timelines and to agreed budget, achieving set objectives.
Customer Focus (internal and external customers)
- Nurture relationships by recognizing and delivering on internal and external customer’s needs and opinions. Help others to understand the implications of their decisions. Develop and sustain productive internal and external customer relationships.
Personal Effectiveness (incorporating results focused, productivity, ownership, delegation)
- Produce outstanding results both professionally and personally by being proactive and committed. Continual focus on achieving positive results that contribute to the overall success of the business.