Manager- EHS/Quality at First Solar Inc
Posted in Sales 10 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Apollo Beach, Florida
Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world’s energy mix.
Primary Job Functions:
Basic Job Functions:
The Quality, Health & Safety (QHS) Manager works as a member of the QHS regional integrated project team (IPT). This position is responsible for assuring compliance with applicable health, safety and quality regulations, related consensus standards, internal policies and procedures, as well as related contractual requirements, collecting data, tracking data, inspecting project sites, as well as developing continuous improvement activities and polcies. The QHS Manager may contract for and supervise a flexible number of temporary-full-time technicians and/or First Solar associates responsible for day-to-day QHS assurance. In addition, the QHS Manager will perform data collection, analysis and report writing, and will include liaison with external parties, including regulatory agencies and Owner’s representatives.
- Min. 4 years in the Solar PV industry, preference to construction involvement
- Experience in Human Factors-based QHS implementation in a construction environment
- Experience in auditing ISO 9001 and 18001 systems (an asset)
- Experience in construction health and safety, with emphasis on PV systems execution
- Experience with Statistical Process Control (SPC) Data and statistical analysis
- Experience with auditing, including reports and follow up of corrective action
- Experience and knowledge in Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Demonstrated experience in leading, motivating and coaching a large and varied employee base;
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Individual must be highly collaborative and demonstrated positive results in directing people;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing to all levels of an organization;
- Capacity to coordinate efforts involving staff from different departments and external partners.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline with 7 years of relevant work experience (preferred)
- Or, an Associates degree preferably in a technical field and 10 years of experience in QHS or Engineering
- Journeyman or higher electrician rating is strongly preferred but not required
- Ability to complete and maintain currency in related QHS compliance systems training, including ISO QHS Systems (9001) and Health & Safety Systems (OHSAS 18001)
- Ability to complete and maintain currency in OSHA-510
- Ability to complete and maintain currency in OSHA – 7105 Evacuation and Emergency Planning
- Ability to complete and maintain currency in OSHA – 7845 Recordkeeping Rule Seminar
- Ability to complete and maintain currency in NFPA-70e (NEC)
- Ability to complete and maintain currency in First Aid, CPR, and AED
- Education in the use use of advance QHS planning tools is preferred but not required.
- Proven QHS management knowledge and experience
- Proven employee relations skills and experience with both represented (union) and non-represented workforces
- Proven ability to interact with clients, owners and certain regulatory officials on QHS matters
- Experience with tools necessary to conduct technical root cause investigation, identification, and permanent corrective action, implementation, and validation. Tools may include but not be limited to “5 Why” and TapRoot methodolgies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; as are interpersonal, facilitation, presentation, quantitative, analytical, organizational follow-up skills, and the ability to meet deadlines on multiple projects/programs
- Ability to lead QHS project improvement plans
- Ability to mentor peers to improve capabilities to drive individual career development
- Demonstrate an advance application ability for using tools such as FMEA, Control Plan, Process Mapping, Six Sigma, Gage Studies, and SPC
- Advanced experience with MS Office including Excel, Word, and Power Point, and their application as it relates to QHS data analysis and presentation
- Successful experience in QHS management systems (ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001) with second party audit experience preferred
- Ability to use standard QHS tools (Six Sigma, SPC, FMEA, 8D,TapRoot, Lean, Intelex, ISNetworld, and/or other safety-related databases, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret drawings
- Strong planning, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills;
Essential Functions and Responsiblities:
- Requires 50-75% travel
- Requires leading QHS excellence by example
- Requires the ability to act independently and with minimal management direction to achieve regional/project QHS goals and objectives
- Requires the ability to regionalize, as necessary, inspection methods needed to monitor project sites for compliance to contracts, drawings, specifications, and QHS standards
- Requires the ability to influence others regardless of their business or reporting relationships. Report and document all findings.
- Review QHS concern reports and submittals to subcontractors
- Review technical data of project and identify opportunities for improvments
- Membership to/oversite of site, regional, and/or corporate safety committees
- Reviews of work practices and identification of training needs
- Ongoing continuous improvement of safety manuals/training materials
- Conducting and improving new hire orientation and ongoing safety-related training
- Performing ergonomics evaluations
- Periodic safety auditing of projet sites using detailed knowledge of Federal Construction Safety Standards (29 CFR 1926 and 1910), recordkeeping requirements (29 CFR 1904), and other applicable standards
- Verify that the QHS related site activities are in accordance with the applicable codes and standards
- Discuss inspection results with those responsible
- Conducting/participating in appropriate and timely accident/injury/illness investigations, including root-cause analysis, and communicating results to FS Safety Management.
- Lead implementation of corrective/preventive actions and continuous improvement
- Conducting/participating in work-related injury/illness case management
- Lead and develop team activities
- Track project QHS costs, budget and actual and tracking trends
- Develop costs of QHS, tracking and reporting costs
- Develop and report QHS metrics driving departmental improvments.
- Accept or reject workmanship and requests for variance to policy
- Read drawings and specifications and ensure risks are identified and co-ordinate with other departments to reduce these risks prior to construction.
- Develop training guidelines for co-workers on new methods, standards or specficiatons
- Develop and work with subcontractors to drive continuous improvement in the construction processes focusing on the application of failure mode analysis, process monitoring and SPC methods
- Review FS product for continuous improvement and cost saving opportuntities.
- Participate in engineering page turns and scheduling meetings when required
- Attend all regional site, or project meetings and discussions; co-ordinate with Regional Project Director
- Schedule and record regional and project level QHS meetings, to review risks and plans of action.
- Review third party testing records
- Be a paradigm shifter for process improvments, training others as required.
- Remain current on best known QHS tools and bring in and develop with the organization these new methodologies.
- Manage project site QHS coordinator contractors, including canvassing, screening and short-listing for ultimate hiring and the management of their contracts, time cards, work schedule, performance, and the overall relationships with the labor/contract provider.
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; safety toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)
- May be required to wear a respirator at any given time and thus, the ability to wear a respirator is a condition of employment and continued employment (requires little or no facial hair)
(i) All educational prerequisites listed under “Education” must be completed prior to assignment.
ExperienceHealth and Safety of Manufacturing, ISO 9001 Internal Audits, PV Industry
EducationBachelors: Technical Discipline (Required)
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.