Business Officer at University of California - Santa Barbara
Posted in Other 9 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Number of Hires
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Primary Consideration Date for Open Until Filled
Additional Deadline Information
Payroll Title Name
Administrative Manager 2
Working Title Name
Department Profile (Specific Information about department/program):
The UCSB Chemistry and Biochemistry department consists of 48 faculty, 180 graduate students, 30 postdoctoral researchers, and 28 staff members, all dedicated to exploring the frontiers of chemical science. All branches of chemistry are well represented, including materials, inorganic, organic, physical, theoretical, analytical, and biochemical. We also feature a strong collaborative research environment, an ethos which is fostered by the creation of many interdisciplinary research units. Our department is one of the top programs in the country. Over the period 1997-2007 UCSB ranked 8th in the world in its citation impact in chemistry and the department ranked 22nd in the National Research Council rankings. The faculty includes two Nobel Chemistry prize winners, the late(Walter Kohn, 1998, and Alan Heeger, 2000). In addition, UCSB was ranked 2nd in the world in 2013 by the Centre for Science and Technologies Studies at Leiden University and 11th in the US in 2010 by Washington Monthly.
End Date/Contingencies for Grant Funding
FOC (Federal Occupation Code) Sub-Code
AB-Officials & Other Managers
FOC (Federal Occupation Code)
Advertised Range Min (full time equivalent)
A little help* Go to Salary Scales 85,200
Advertised Range Max (full time equivalent)
Advertised Range Rate Type
Other Advertised Salary Range Comments
Percentage of full-time
A little help with Contracts* Go to Employment Agreements Career
Limited Appointment End Date
A little help* Go to General Information on Limited Appointments
Is this a NEW CAREER position*
Summary of Job Duties
(Note: This summary will be used for keyword search) The Business Officer provides high-level management and budgetary oversight to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry in all facets of its dynamic operations including academic personnel issues, financial affairs, teaching, research administration, and management of research facilities and shops. Responsible for long-term planning of financial, space, staffing, development, and construction of new facilities.
* Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience/training.
* Must have extensive experience in the financial, academic and administrative management of a large, complex and dynamic organization in the UC system.
* Must have highly developed organizational skills, with acute attention to detail.
* Demonstrated skill in financial data analysis and planning, preparation, and administration of complex budgets with multiple funding sources.
* Demonstrated skill in organizing material, information, and people in a systematic way to optimize efficiency and minimize duplication of effort.
* Must be knowledgeable of general fund accounting principles, university policies and basic environmental health and safety guidelines.
* Must be detail oriented and able to work independently while maintaining a positive attitude in a fast-paced and stressful environment with firm deadlines.
* Demonstrated skill in personnel management of a diverse staff including selection, training, delegating, performance appraisal, discipline, and implementation of contract policies.
* Strong communication skills and a proven ability to work well with a wide variety of people.
* In-depth understanding of established UC policies and procedures in the areas of Academic Personnel, Human Resources, Student Affairs, Office or Research, EH&S, and Capital Project management.
* Demonstrated experience using multiple campus systems, including OACIS, UC Recruit, AP Folio, STAR, GradNet, OISS, Espresso suite, Procurement Gateway, GUS, Data Warehouse, ORBIT, etc.
* Experience in contract and grant financial management.
* Previous experience managing a science or engineering academic department or unit.
* Prior experience managing building facilities.
Special Conditions of Employment
A little help* Go to Driver's License Requirements or Background Check Guidelines Satisfactory completion of a fingerprint background check
Other Special Conditions of Employment
Other Recruitment Notes
Optional Applicant Documents
Other Document (1)
Other Document (2)
Other Document (3)
Required Applicant Documents
FLSA Exemption Status
A little help* Go to Exempt vs. Non-Exempt Employees Exempt
CBU (Collective Bargaining Unit)
99 - Non-Represented (PPSM)
ERC (Employee Relations Code)
End Date for Other Appointment Type (e.g., Contract or 18-month Career)
Type of Supervision Received
A little help* Go to Degree of Supervision General direction
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Excellent ability to establish metrics for department and employee goals. Thorough knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques; human resources and risk management planning; accounting and payroll. Excellent skills to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations; skills in conflict management techniques. Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively lead, motivate and influence others and to develop and maintain high standards of customer service. Thorough knowledge of large Academic/ Research department operations. Skills to include the oversight and management of all facets of graduate and undergraduate program operations, as well as large scale faculty research laboratory operations.
Excellent project management skills, including the capability of managing capital projects. Very strong ability to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify multiple options for resolution.
Continuously=Activity occurs 66%
Frequently=Activity occurs 33% to 66%
Occasionally=Activity occurs Not Applicable=Activity does not exist
Reach above shoulder level
Hand Activities: Fine dexterity
Hand Activities: Hand twisting
Hand Activities: Simple grasping
Hand Activities: Power grasping
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.