Job-related travel including overnight stays; visiting clientele at sites throughout the county (including farms); standing/walking for long periods; handling of average-weight objects up to 25 lbs.
Monday-Friday (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) with evenings and weekends as needed. Most weeks will exceed 40 hours.
Extension Agent for Family and Consumer Sciences in Muhlenberg County.
Location: Central City, KY
The Extension Agent for Family and Consumer Sciences will develop, implement, and evaluate a plan of work based on locally identified needs which will lead to improved quality of living for families & individuals. Will plan and implement educational programs which focus on: 1) making healthy choices; 2) nurturing families; 3) embracing life as you age; 4) securing financial stability; 5) promoting healthy homes and communities; 6) accessing nutritious food; and 7) empowering community leaders. Will develop expertise and serve as a resource in family and consumer sciences programming areas including: food and nutrition; family resource management; human development and family relations; health, safety and wellness; leadership development; clothing and textiles; housing and the environment; home based and micro business. Will implement educational programs which strengthen families and individuals. Will develop and implement leadership programs such as Kentucky Extension Homemakers resulting in the development of personal and organizational leadership skills.
This position will serve all clientele ensuring that all youth and adults have an equal opportunity to participate in Extension programs regardless of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.
All agents in a county will support the dissemination of useful and practical information on subjects relating to Agriculture, Family Consumer Sciences, 4-H and Community and Rural Development as outlined in the KRS statues 164.605 to 164.675.
State law requires a national and state criminal check and a letter from the cabinet for health and family services stating the employee is clear to hire based on no findings of substantiated child abuse or neglect found through a check of child abuse and neglect records as a condition of employment or involvement in this program.
Given the COVID -19 pandemic, and the need to protect our university community including our students, staff, faculty and visitors, the University of Kentucky is requiring COVID -19 vaccination for all new hires prior to starting employment. Therefore, as of October 18, 2021, all new hires prior to their first day of employment must submit appropriate documentation showing, i) completion of the first vaccination against COVID -19, or ii) completion of the full vaccination series against COVID -19, or iii) approved exemption (medical contraindications or a sincerely held religious belief) through the formal exemption process from the COVID -19 vaccination requirement. For those employees who have completed the first vaccination against COVID -19 prior to their first day of employment, the second vaccination (if applicable) must be completed following the vaccination recommended schedule to be considered fully vaccinated.
Resume, cover letter and transcripts are required at time of application.
Skills / Knowledge / Abilities
Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in writing with groups and individuals and through mass media. Ability to use the computer for program delivery and management. Ability to visit clientele at sites throughout the county. Ability to plan and teach educational programs. Demonstrated leadership and ability to serve as a positive role model.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in the field of Family & Consumer Sciences such as: Family & Consumer Sciences Education; Family Sciences; Child and Family Studies; Early Childhood Education; Child Development; Dietetics; Nutrition or Human Nutrition; Community Food Services; Food Science; Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles; Hospitality, Management and Tourism; Retailing and Tourism Management; Community & Leadership Development; Consumer Economics and Family Financial Counseling; Kinesiology & Health Promotions; Health, Society & Populations; or Health Communications.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense (felony or misdemeanor) including driving under the influence (DUI)? If yes, please explain giving date(s) and location and complete name at the time. (Open Ended Question)
* Do you have a bachelor's degree or expect to graduate within 6 months?
* What is your undergraduate GPA? Note: If you will receive your degree within 6 months indicate your current GPA. If you have already completed a Master's degree please indicate that instead of your undergraduate GPA.
3.0 - 4.0
2.5 - 2.99
* In what area of Family and Consumer Sciences is your degree?
Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Child and Family Studies
Retailing and Tourism Management
No degree in Family and Consumer Sciences
* How many years of experience (paid or non-paid) do you have working in family and consumer sciences, child development, dietetics/nutrition, merchandising, apparel, textiles, retailing or tourism management?
More than 0, through 1 year
More than 1 year, through 3 years
More than 3 years, through 5 years
More than 5 years
* Do you have a family member who serves as a member on any county Extension District Board in Kentucky? If yes, please state the family member's name and the county for which this individual serves as a member of the Extension District Board. (Open Ended Question)
* Were you previously a UK Cooperative Extension summer intern?
* Given the COVID-19 pandemic, and the need to protect our university community including our students, staff, faculty and visitors, the University of Kentucky is requiring COVID-19 vaccination for all new hires prior to starting employment. Therefore, as of October 18, 2021, all new hires prior to their first day of employment, must submit appropriate documentation showing, i) completion of the first vaccination against COVID-19, or ii) completion of the full vaccination series against COVID-19, or iii) approved exemption (medical contraindications or a sincerely held religious belief) through the formal exemption process from the COVID-19 vaccination requirement. For those employees who have completed the first vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment, the second vaccination (if applicable) must be completed following the vaccination recommended schedule to be considered fully vaccinated. I understand that I will be obligated to comply with the new COVID-19 vaccination requirement prior to starting employment at the University of Kentucky.
* Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)