Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities
· Performs shop service and/or field inspection, testing, maintenance, and repair of fire equipment which may include customer portable and fixed fire extinguisher systems and components, lifesaving and navigation aid equipment, fire detection and alarm system components, fixed gas detection systems components and foam, dry chemical and gaseous fire suppression systems and components. Typically handles troubleshooting and repair of more complex equipment / issues.
· Completes all documentation associated with inspection and repair in a timely and accurate manner and obtains signature from customer so that proper invoicing and documentation can be provided to customer. This includes all inspection and repair documents, job cost billable expenses and time sheets.
· Conducts detailed visual inspections and system functional tests of various systems and equipment for the purpose of reporting any deficiencies and corrective action recommendations to customer.
· Conducts pre-job, job update and post-job completion briefs.
· Trains customers and less experienced technicians.
· Assists others in facility including stocking shelves with clean, tested and ready to use equipment and pulling, staging and loading customer orders onto trucks for delivery.
· Maintains work area and other areas in a clean and orderly condition.
· Performs basic maintenance and care of assigned vehicle and/or trailer.
· Operates electronic safety and communications systems including portable gas monitors, hand-held radios and other related equipment.
· Rigs-up and uses a wide range of safety equipment including but not limited to retractable lifelines, harnesses and lanyards.
· Trained, authorized and certified to work both onshore and offshore exploration and production.
· Assists others as needed.
Education and Experience: High School diploma or GED and at least three (3) years of field experience in fire protection, petrochemical, oil refinery or related industry. Associate’s degree in science or technical area strongly preferred.
Required Licenses or Specific Training: Must have a valid driver’s license from state of residence and valid proof of vehicle insurance. Must possess good driving record and be insurable for Total Safety vehicle insurance while driving company truck. Forklift experience considered a plus. Must have ability to pass internal forklift certification as required. Must be willing to travel to customer’s site and available for travel for short and long-term out-of-town and/or offshore projects. Must be able to obtain TWIC card and pass any required safety testing to include classes such as Basic Plus, OSHA 10 hour, etc.
May be required to obtain a driver’s license with a DOT hazardous endorsement if required. Must have State Fire Licenses (if required by State) or pass NICET Level II testing (if State Licensing not required) in THREE disciplines of fire protection or have NICET 3 in TWO fire protection disciplines for appropriate areas of service prior to performing work within those areas. At Management discretion, can substitute 7 years of experience for one of the disciplines provided employee obtains third discipline within 12 months of hire or promotion into Tech III.
Other Required Skills, Knowledge or Abilities: Consistently demonstrates the ability to operate assigned equipment meeting or exceeding service and quality targets. Ability to operate and maintain, reassemble and test electronic safety equipment in accordance with manufacturers’ specifications.
Meets or exceeds service and quality targets with demonstrated ability to independently troubleshoot and diagnose equipment problems, regardless of complexity and take corrective action within policy and procedure limitations.
Knowledge of all regulatory standards pertaining to assigned responsibilities; i.e., State, OSHA, and NFPA regulations, etc.
Must have knowledge of applicable Code of Federal Regulations, Coast Guard and ABS regulations if offshore.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Proficiency in the care and use of all site specific, facility and customer required Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). Trained in Respiratory Protection and fully certified to wear respiratory breathing equipment (Fit Tested).
Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily.
Interpersonal Communications: Ability to read, write and comprehend English (operational, process, safety, quality instructions, electrical schematics, and safecharts.) Ability to write technical reports and correspondence. Second language is a plus. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization preferred. Daily customer contact. Frequent contact with other facility personnel in order to understand issues. Frequent contact with less experienced personnel and customers training and coaching.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. Uses hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Shop, indoor and outdoor industrial environments. May be frequently exposed to cold, hot, wet, humid, outside weather conditions and vibration. Works in customer environment. May be exposed to high pressure, chemicals, and traffic. The noise level in work environment is usually moderate.
Complexity of Duties and Decisions: Duties involve the use of several procedures or processes and frequently uses judgment to arrange job details in order to achieve pre-determined objectives. Regularly troubleshoots, analyzes and resolves problems. May recommend or adapt procedures, techniques, tools, material and/or equipment to meet special needs while following prescribed codes and standards. Is expected to suggest process improvements. Supervisor reviews progress versus detailed check for technical adequacy and conformance with practice and policy. Frequently reviews work of others and teaches how to detect and correct errors.
Authority: Works under intermittent supervision: Objectives, priorities and deadlines are defined. Assistance is given with unusual situations that do not have clear objectives. Plans and carries out successive steps and resolves problems and deviations in accordance with instructions, policies, and accepted practices. May frequently serve as a lead (assists, trains, reviews work). Models, teaches and ensures compliance with all work practices, policies and procedures.