Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
QA Engineer (7120U), Space Sciences Laboratory - #7899
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world s leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 9, 2020
The Space Sciences Laboratory (SSL) is an Organized Research Unit (ORU) of the Berkeley campus reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Research. SSL's primary goal is to foster research in space-related sciences and to provide education for the next generation of space scientists. Research at SSL, led by Berkeley faculty and SSL Senior Fellows, focuses on experiments and observations carried out in space as well as theoretical and basic research.
* Provides full range of professional engineering services to research projects; meets with research staff in the design and development phase.
* Reviews NASA contract documents for standards required for mission: working from generic parts requested by other engineers on the mission.
* Identifies specific parts meeting the NASA standards.
* Determines project specifications and parameters.
* Establishes and maintains parts database, tracking inventor, purchases, usage, testing/qualification status, kitting sets for specific builds, etc.
* Reviews and writes project QA documents
* Performs design, construction, assembly and testing of complex experimental equipment and instrument systems.
* May provide engineering information and advice to Principal Investigators and/or other faculty and research personnel with administrative responsibility for the research program or teaching facility.
* Gathers and analyzes data; prepares formal engineering reports, drawings and status reports.
* Determines testing/qualification/screening required for a given part.
* Identifies external laboratory/vendor capable and available to complete that effort, coordinates purchase of the service with Senior Buyer, inspects parts on delivery to verify acceptability.
* Assists in testing and screening of parts.
* Analyzes test results for acceptability.
* Provides direction and guidance to lower level R&D Engineers.
* Guide and oversee other team members to provide a fluid and responsive service to the Project/Instrument teams
* Implements related business processes.
* Works directly with purchasing staff, initiating purchase requests for parts, providing suggested vendors for acquisition of highly specialized parts and testing services, serving as Technical Contactc for external vendors.
* Closely tracks request for purchase of parts and services from initial request through inspection of final delivery for acceptability.
* Monitor schedule of deliveries, expediting as necessary.
* Thorough knowledge of Quality Assurance Engineering processes and practices.
* Thorough knowledge necessary to apply principles, practices and procedures in the completion of assignments.
* Demonstrated organizational and decision-making abilities to prioritize competing work assignments in order to meet deadlines and adherence to quality standards.
* Strong analytical and judgment skills to independently conduct analyses and develop appropriate recommendations.
* Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
* Ability to work in a collaborative manner; identify challenges and barriers and recommend resolutions.
* Ability to lead and influence others.
* Bachelors degree in engineering discipline or physics or related area and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: