Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Requisition Id 3401
The Advanced Computing Systems Research Section within the Computer Science and Mathematics (CSM) Division is seeking senior computer scientists to lead world class research groups exploring the impact that fundamental changes in computing technologies will have on the ORNL and DOE mission. Selection will be based on qualifications, relevant experience, skills, and education.
CSM delivers fundamental and applied research capabilities in a wide range of areas, including applied mathematics and computer science, experimental computing systems, scalable algorithms and systems, artificial intelligence and machine learning, data management, workflow systems, analysis and visualization technologies, programming systems and environments, and system science and engineering.
The Advanced Computing Systems Research Section has capabilities in the following areas:
- Beyond Moore — Exploring the applicability of novel computing technologies for science
- Architectures and Performance — Tools and methods for evaluating emerging computing architectures
- Intelligent Systems and Facilities — Addressing the challenges associated with managing computing resources and facilities at scale
- Programming Systems — Programming models, languages and translation tools
Provide Research and Development (R&D) leadership to the group that strategically advances science and technology consistent with ORNL's aspiration to be the world's premier R&D institution and ORNL's science culture.
The R&D Group Leader brings together a group of peers with the primary goal of pursuing global scientific leadership in their field, nurtures ORNL's culture among group members, and continues to build and scale up individual excellence and impact in R&D. The R&D Group Leader reports to and works closely with the R&D Section Head to implement the group's scientific vision; develops group members to enable their career advancement; establishes capabilities that enable programs to excel at the forefront of science and technology; performs R&D to advance the field of knowledge and/or technology in one's respective specialty; sets, implements, and models standards for performance of work consistent with Environment, Safety, Security, Health, and Quality (ESH&Q) requirements and business rules; and ensures a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels safe, heard, and appreciated—a workplace that sets an example for the broader community.
Scientists/engineers/analysts are recognized leaders in their area of technical expertise. Initiates, leads and performs independent R&D on an ongoing basis.
- Develop a vision and implement a cohesive group research strategy to ensure the success of new and ongoing research projects to position the group for future success.
- Develop and implement plans to exploit new opportunities and/or expand existing efforts.
- Assist staff in setting performance goals consistent with the group's strategy and members' long-term career goals. Provide feedback to address performance issues in a timely manner.
- Provide relevant input to assist the R&D Section Head with staff development while providing direct and impactful guidance to staff on regular basis.
- Attract a quality, diverse pool of top candidates and hire staff members who are committed to world-class R&D and aspire to be the best in their field.
- Lead by example by exercising the principles in ORNL's 'Research Code of Conduct' as a guide for proposing, performing, and communicating research.
- Coach and mentor staff regarding Battelle's 'Safe Conduct of Research' principles
- Lead ESH&Q by example and ensure all work is carried out safely, securely, and in compliance with ORNL policies, standards, and procedures.
- Exemplify a commitment to 'One ORNL' by modeling lab expectations for excellence in research, operations, and community engagement, and by working cooperatively to leverage capabilities across the lab.
- Serve as immediate supervisor for staff members in group.
- Encourage staff to 'think and dream big,' take appropriate risks in their work, and develop skills that will enable them to pursue new ideas, scientific passions, and research programs.
- Advance the reputation of the group members and standing of the group as a whole through establishing collaborations, Professional Society leadership and involvement, and organization of technical events.
- Support group members by consistently reviewing technical products such as proposals, publications, and artifacts to ensure high quality and consistency with ORNL standards.
- Build strong teams across ORNL.
- Connect staff to your scientific network and professional societies.
- Hold regular scientific/technical group meetings and be visible in the labs and workplace.
- Assume front-line responsibility for safety in the group's laboratory; mentor and empower the Laboratory Space Managers to create a strong safety culture.
- Effectively communicate the importance of protecting proprietary or sensitive information and complying with ORNL cybersecurity policies and guidelines.
Basic Qualifications Required:
- Requires a Ph.D. with a minimum of 6 years relevant experience, a M.S. with a minimum of 12 years experiences, B.S. with 15 years experience.
- Qualified candidates should have demonstrated experience in leading R&D teams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory.
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs.
- To group staff, for the quality and safety of their work environment and opportunity for professional growth.
- To R&D section head, for world-leading science and technology directions, safe effective, and compliant operations, ownership of assigned staff, facilities, and equipment, and the quality of products and services.
- To customer, for the quality of products and service.
- Develop a vision and implement a strategy to pursue world-leading science and technology directions for the R&D group.
- Hold staff accountable for performance.
- Act to ensure safe and effective operations.
- Hire staff.
- Certify the technical quality of the group's products and services.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the 'About' tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.