Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Are you looking for a job where YOU can make a DIFFERENCE in people's lives? Where YOUR ideas and lived experiences MATTER?
IF SO, PLEASE CONSIDER JOINING THE MAINEHEALTH TEAM AT MAINE BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE!
PEER SUPPORT SPECIALISTS have struggled with challenges maintaining mental health, recovery from substance use or both. They have demonstrated resiliency and perseverance in their own wellness or recovery. A PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST IS WILLING TO SELF-IDENTIFY ON THAT BASIS and is effective in communicating about their lived experience in a way that fosters a healthy relationship. Peer Support Specialists do not provide clinical assessment or traditional service provider functions within the team.
AS A PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST, YOU WILL:
* Provide one-on-one support to people in the community, at their homes, and/or at the location where the peer works.
* Provide group facilitation in various topics related to the setting in which they work, including topics such as wellness, recovery, boundaries, self-esteem, healthy relationships, etc.
* Support people in connecting to wellness/recovery opportunities in the community and accessing other community support services when appropriate.
* Use peer support to build mutually supportive relationships that allow each person to grow and learn together.
* Manage conflict and disagreements according to agency and peer values.
* Have or obtain a certification in Intentional Peer Support.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT PEER SUPPORT, PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE, PLEASE PROVIDE 1 - 3 SENTENCE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS BELOW, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED AS A Y/N QUESTION.
DO NOT INCLUDE DIAGNOSES AND/OR CRIMINAL HISTORY IN YOUR ANSWERS! WE WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS INFORMATION OR PASS IT ALONG TO OUR HIRING MANAGERS.
* Have you struggled with challenges maintaining mental health, recovery from substance use or both? YES / NO ONLY
* Are you willing to SELF-IDENTIFY on that basis and communicate about your LIVED EXPERIENCE in a way that fosters a HEALTHY relationship? YES / NO ONLY
* How will you encourage a peer to focus on HOPE and POSSIBILITIES instead of fear in their recovery?
* How will you facilitate a RELATIONSHIP with a peer, in which both parties have their needs and wants heard, respected, and discussed?
* How will you explain the benefit of LEARNING TOGETHER instead of simply trying to fix the other person's problems?
REQUIRED MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (KSAS)
* EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent required. Some college preferred.
* LICENSE/CERTIFICATIONS: Completion of, or ability to complete, the relevant training to the position is required. This may be the State of Maine Certified Intentional Peer Support Specialist (CIPSS) Certification. Provisional CIPSS Certification may be required within 9 months of hire date. If CIPSS is required, the ability to maintain certification will be required (meet co-reflection and continuing education requirements). Ability to provide support according to the values and principles of the training is required. Employment will be contingent on the above certification guidelines. Driving license and reliable transportation.
* EXPERIENCE: Experience providing one-on-one and/or group facilitation peer support is preferred
* Is receiving or has received services and/or supports related to the diagnosis of a mental illness and is willing to self-identify on this basis with peers and in the community. May be receiving or has received services and supports related to a history of substance use, is in active recovery, and willing to self-identify on this basis with peers and in the community
* Models strengths-based interactions and treats all individuals with respect. Demonstrates ability to utilize strengths-based approach to problem solving
* Ability to articulate the unique nature of Peer Support within traditional service programs
* Good communication skills and an ability to establish rapport with consumers, family members, caregivers and other resource providers. Willingness to further develop communication skills (i.e. written, verbal, and computer.)
* Demonstrated ability to keep focus on continual learning and growth is required
* Ability to work a flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends when needed
* Computer proficiency needed - ability to do basic computer skills in Microsoft Office and Outlook email
* Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive working relationships with a variety of volunteers, fellow workers, communities, resources and cultures. Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively
MaineHealth values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Federal and state laws prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.